Subject: [core] Lars Eggert's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-senml-versions-03: (with COMMENT)

From: Lars Eggert via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 05:33:43 -0700

Lars Eggert has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-senml-versions-03: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-senml-versions/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 7.1, paragraph 4, comment:
>    [IANA.senml]
>               IANA, "Sensor Measurement Lists (SenML)",
>               <http://www.iana.org/assignments/senml>.

Not sure if a normative reference to an IANA registry page is technically OK; it
should probably cite the RFC that created that registry instead, and maybe add
an informative reference to the registry page?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All comments below are about very minor potential issues that you may choose to
address in some way - or ignore - as you see fit. Some were flagged by
automated tools (via https://github.com/larseggert/ietf-reviewtool), so there
will likely be some false positives. There is no need to let me know what you
did with these suggestions.

Section 2.1, paragraph 4, nit:
-    decimal numbers, e.g. 26 (0b11010, 0x1a) for a version that adds the
+    decimal numbers, e.g., 26 (0b11010, 0x1a) for a version that adds the
+                         +

The text version of this document contains these HTML entities, which might
indicate issues with its XML source: &nbsp;

Section 1, paragraph 2, nit:
> es additional features over time. However in the case of SenML it is expecte
>                                   ^^^^^^^
Did you forget a comma after a conjunctive/linking adverb?

Section 3, paragraph 2, nit:
>  secondary unit names [RFC8798] MAY be be used in the "u" field of SenML Reco
>                                     ^^^^^
Possible typo: you repeated a word

These URLs in the document can probably be converted to HTTPS:
 * http://www.iana.org/assignments/senml

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 16:14:10 +0200

Hi Lars,

thank you for these details!

> On 2021-05-26, at 14:33, Lars Eggert via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 

I find dozens of recent RFCs with normative references to IANA registries, and I do believe this practice is both OK and makes a lot of sense (in particular for registries like the present one that have been set up successively over time in multiple RFCs — even if those RFCs are also being references normatively, as they are here).
If you think we should change this practice, I think some guidance by the IESG would be useful.

The nits are fixed in the editor copy; except for the http:// URI — I have written a note to tools-discuss about the generation of http:// URIs in bibxml8.

Grüße, Carsten