Subject: [core] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-new-block-13: (with COMMENT)

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 11:16:06 -0700

Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-new-block-13: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-new-block/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for addressing my discuss and comment points!

In reviewing the latest updates, I briefly tried to cross-reference
the formula in section 7.2:

      NON_PROBING_WAIT = NON_TIMEOUT * ((2 ** NON_MAX_RETRANSMIT) - 1) *
      ACK_RANDOM_FACTOR + (2 * MAX_LATENCY) + NON_TIMEOUT

My initial attempt found that the corresponding formulae in RFC 7252 used
PROCESSING_DELAY instead of NON_TIMEOUT for the last term, but I did not
go back to double-check.  It's possible I'm just misreading something.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 19:40:41 +0100

Hi Ben

See inline.

Regards

Jon

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker [mailto: [email-masked]]
> Sent: 21 May 2021 19:16
> To: The IESG
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-new-block-13:
> (with COMMENT)
> 

[Jon] RFC7253 4.8.2

   o  PROCESSING_DELAY is the time a node takes to turn around a
      Confirmable message into an acknowledgement.  We assume the node
      will attempt to send an ACK before having the sender time out, so
      as a conservative assumption we set it equal to ACK_TIMEOUT.

And hence NON_TIMEOUT.