Subject: [core] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-tiloca-core-oscore-capable-proxies-00.txt

From: Marco Tiloca <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 14:38:38 +0200

Hello CoRE,

Following what was discussed during IETF 110 [1] and the CoRE interim at 
[2], we have recently submitted a new draft "OSCORE-capable Proxies".

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-tiloca-core-oscore-capable-proxies-00

The document defines how OSCORE is used to protect CoAP messages also 
between an origin application endpoint and an intermediary, e.g., a 
client and a proxy. Besides, it defines how a CoAP message can be 
double-protected through "OSCORE-in-OSCORE", e.g., protected both 
end-to-end between the origin client and origin server, as well as also 
over the leg between the client and the proxy acting as next hop towards 
the server.

Seminal content about this was originally an appendix in [3], where such 
functionality looked convenient to define. Besides that, more use cases 
are mentioned in the present document. Finally, based on recent 
discussions [4], this functionality might help also for the security 
aspects of transport indication [5], when a proxy wants an additional 
security context on its own.

Comments are very welcome!

Best,
/Marco

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/minutes-110-core-202103081700/

[2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-core-07/session/core

[3] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tiloca-core-groupcomm-proxy/

[4] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/core/RZH8pgyksEwtMYVE1MrPkj9opyg/

[5] 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-amsuess-core-transport-indication/

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-tiloca-core-oscore-capable-proxies-00.txt
Date: 	Mon, 12 Jul 2021 04:27:41 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Marco Tiloca <[email-masked]>, Rikard Hoeglund 
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-tiloca-core-oscore-capable-proxies-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Marco Tiloca and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-tiloca-core-oscore-capable-proxies
Revision: 00
Title: OSCORE-capable Proxies
Document date: 2021-07-12
Group: Individual Submission
Pages: 23
URL: 
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ietf.org%2Farchive%2Fid%2Fdraft-tiloca-core-oscore-capable-proxies-00.txt&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7Cd8a0bf9ad78a4ab81e6c08d9452810af%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637616860649838401%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=PrtejNXjt3PAD120Pg7T7OoocUl1IEPraHk64ETCzbo%3D&amp;reserved=0
Status: 
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdatatracker.ietf.org%2Fdoc%2Fdraft-tiloca-core-oscore-capable-proxies%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7Cd8a0bf9ad78a4ab81e6c08d9452810af%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637616860649848362%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=NBVAvs5rK0x3VqDhCpkT0%2B6oL8fEyMf3%2FBJVO09hSgk%3D&amp;reserved=0
Htmlized: 
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdatatracker.ietf.org%2Fdoc%2Fhtml%2Fdraft-tiloca-core-oscore-capable-proxies&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmarco.tiloca%40ri.se%7Cd8a0bf9ad78a4ab81e6c08d9452810af%7C5a9809cf0bcb413a838a09ecc40cc9e8%7C0%7C0%7C637616860649848362%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=UPReEFc5zcw9hAo%2FqzDXQYN7HVibWYkd6wFSW%2BuCf3w%3D&amp;reserved=0

Abstract:
Object Security for Constrained RESTful Environments (OSCORE) can be
used to protect CoAP messages end-to-end between two endpoints at the
application layer, also in the presence of intermediaries such as
proxies. This document defines how OSCORE is used to protect CoAP
messages also between an origin application endpoint and an
intermediary, or between two intermediaries. Besides, it defines how
a CoAP message can be double-protected through "OSCORE-in-OSCORE",
i.e., both end-to-end between origin application endpoints, as well
as between an application endpoint and an intermediary or between two
intermediaries. Thus, this document updates RFC 8613. The same
approach applies to Group OSCORE, for protecting CoAP messages when
group communication with intermediaries is used.

The IETF Secretariat