Subject: [core] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-sid-16: (with COMMENT)

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 00:42:42 -0700

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-sid-16: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-sid/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 1:

It's a bit weird to have requirements language in an Introduction.

Section 7, generally:

Thanks for providing advice for the Designated Experts for each of the created
registries.  This is a not-exactly-uncommon oversight.

Section 7.4.1:

* "The size of the registered SID block.  The size MUST be one million (1 000
000) SIDs." -- Seems a waste of a registry column if it's always this one
value.  Maybe this should instead be the highest SID in the block?

* "The information associated to the Organization name should not be publicly
visible in the registry, but should be available." -- Why not, and available
how?

Section 7.5.2:

* "The maximum SID range size is 1000.  A larger size may be requested by the
authors if this recommendation is considered insufficient." -- This is a
contradiction.  Should "maximum" be "default"?

* "RFCs and by extension documents that are expected to become an RFC fulfill
the requirement for "Specification Required" stated in..." -- I think you mean
"RFC Required".