Subject: [core] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-sid-16: (with COMMENT)

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 17:05:09 -0700

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-sid-16: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-sid/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I support the DISCUSS positions of Ben Kaduk, Éric Vyncke, and Rob Wilton.

** YANG module.  Typo. “list assignment-range”.  s/the the/the/

** Appendix B.

Assignment of SIDs to YANG items can be automated, the recommended
   process to assign SIDs is as follows:

...
   4.  If the number of items exceeds the SID range(s) allocated to a
       YANG module, an extra range is added for subsequent assignments.

What’s the expected automated approach for adding extra ranges.  I was under
the impression that getting more SIDs required an IANA request to allocate them
them "YANG SID Range Registry"?

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 13:17:58 -0400

> them "YANG SID Range Registry"?

Yes, that's correct.
A human has to add the extra range, once they have acquired it.
The allocation of the SIDs is to schema names/paths is automated.
The interaction with IANA is not :-)

(but, comi.space had an API, I think)

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide