Subject: [core] 🔔 WG last call for draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-bis-06

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 22:11:43 +0200

In our IETF113 CoRE meeting, we diagnosed draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-bis-06 as ready for WG last call.  So:

This starts a WG last call for https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-bis/06/, ending on

    24:00 UTC on Tuesday, April 19, 2022.

Please indicate your position in a message to the CoRE mailing list ([email-masked]) or, exceptionally, to the chairs ([email-masked]).

Preferably, start a new email thread for each major issue that will need
discussion and make sure the subject line includes the draft name and
some sort of name for the issue.  (Minor issues such as typos can also
be sent to the authors.)

In addition to the email list discussion, reviewers could consider opening new issues or PRs on the Github repo of the draft as a courtesy to the authors:

https://github.com/core-wg/groupcomm-bis

If you read the draft and think it looks fine, please send a one line 
email to the list or to the chairs letting us know that so we can get 
a feel of how broad the review has been.

(To reviewers and authors:)  If you are aware of any patent claims that
might apply to systems that implement these drafts, please review BCP 78
and BCP 79 and make any appropriate IPR declaration before the last-call
ends. If you are not sure whether you need to make a declaration or not, 
please talk to the chairs.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 00:05:38 +0200

Chair review of draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-bis-06.txt
Carsten Bormann 2022-04-03

## Major

The document oscillates between normative content and extensive
examples, which almost take the form of a HOWTO.
I think the text could benefit from a better separation between these
two.
To achieve some of this, some of the more extensive sequences of
examples could also be turned into an appendix, e.g. in 2.2.

In several places, the document relies heavily on
draft-tiloca-core-groupcomm-proxy supplying solutions for what it
itself needs to leave open.
I believe we should at least have accepted that as a WG document
before we pass on draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-bis to the IESG.

More generally speaking, the document often is not much more than a
pointer to other documents -- which in itself is valuable, but tends
to dilute the normative content, which now needs to be searched with a
loupe.

The document would benefit from a crisp summary of where it updates
7252 (and 7641), and specific indications in the places where it does.
E.g., are the SHOULDs in 3.6 updates to 7252?

## Minor

(I send an annotated text file to the authors; maybe they can process
this before we come up with non-trivial questions or changes.)

The document is a bit uneven in its expression how NOT RECOMMENDED
NoSec is -- it starts out by saying this outright, but then gradually
takes it back in several places.

The special significance of "NoSec" as a text string is not really
explained -- where are these group identifiers used?

In the software update section (A.3), please add appropriate
references to the SUIT work.

## Nits

Small fixes went right into the PR
https://github.com/core-wg/groupcomm-bis/pull/33

Grüße, Carsten

> On 2022-04-02, at 22:11, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
>