Subject: [cuss] Assuming "package=isdn-uui" as default if package parameter is omitted?

From: "Belling, Thomas (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 18:52:40 +0100

In ETSI TISPAN TS 183 036 and 3GPP TS 29.163, we base currently on old
versions (-02 and -03) of the predecessor draft-johnston. This has been
in those specs already for some years and might be implemented;
operators raised such concerns when we discussed updating our references
in 3GPP. 

The "package" parameter of the "User-to-User" SIP header was not yet
defined in those versions. 

A User-to-User header sent by interworking entities complaint with
current version ETSI TISPAN TS 183 036 and 3GPP TS 29.163 would only
contain the "encoding=hex" parameter, but no "package=isdn-uui".
Contents of "uui-data" would be aligned with what is now defined for
"package=isdn-uui".

It would thus greatly enhance backward compatibility, if
draft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui-04 could be updated to state that
"package=isdn-uui" is the default to be assumed if package parameter is
omitted in the "User-to-User" SIP header.

(draft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui might also require some related updates.)

BR, Thomas

----------------------------------
Dr. Thomas Belling 
3GPP Standardisation 
Nokia Siemens Networks

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 14:49:17 -0500

I am ok with making this the default.

	Thanks,
	Paul

On 1/19/12 12:52 PM, Belling, Thomas (NSN - DE/Munich) wrote:
> versions(-02 and -03)of the predecessor draft-johnston. This has been in
> those specs already for some years and might be implemented; operators
> raised such concerns when we discussed updating our referencesin 3GPP.
>
> The“package”parameter of the“User-to-User”SIP headerwas not yet defined
> in those versions.
>
> A User-to-User header sentbyinterworking entities complaint with current
> versionETSI TISPAN TS 183 036 and 3GPP TS 29.163would only contain
> the“encoding=hex”parameter, but
> no"package=isdn-uui".Contentsof“uui-data”would bealignedwithwhat is now
> defined for"package=isdn-uui".
>
> It wouldthusgreatly enhance backward
> compatibility,ifdraft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui-04could be updated to state
> that"package=isdn-uui"is the defaultto be assumedif package parameter is
> omittedin the“User-to-User”SIP header.
>
> _______________________________________________
> cuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cuss

---

From: "Belling, Thomas (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:49:24 +0100

Thanks Paul,

I checked the specs in this respect and they seem to be in conflict:

>From draft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui-04.txt

4.  Normative Definition
 
   ...
   The "package" parameter identifies the package which defines the
   generation and usage of the UUI data for a particular application.
   For the case of interworking with the ISDN UUI Service, the ISDN UUI
   Service interworking package is used.  If the "package" parameter is
   not present, interworking with the ISDN UUI Service MUST be assumed.

This seems to be fine.

>From draft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui-isdn-01:

7.  UAC requirements

...

   When sending UUI for the ISDN package, the UAC MUST set the User-to-
   User "package" header field parameter to "isdn-uui".  

I believe this place should be changed.

I also noticed another inconsistency:

>From draft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui-04.txt

4.  Normative Definition
 
   ...
   The "content" parameter identifies the actual content of the UUI
   data.  If not present, the content MUST be assumed to be unknown as
   it is in the ISDN UUI Service.  

I believe this should be corrected as draft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui-isdn-01
defines "isdn-uui" as a new value of the User-to-User "content" header
field parameter.

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
ext Paul Kyzivat
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [cuss] Assuming "package=isdn-uui" as default if package
parameter is omitted?

	Thanks,
	Paul

On 1/19/12 12:52 PM, Belling, Thomas (NSN - DE/Munich) wrote:
> versions(-02 and -03)of the predecessor draft-johnston. This has been 
> operators raised such concerns when we discussed updating our
referencesin 3GPP.
>
> The"package"parameter of the"User-to-User"SIP headerwas not yet 
> A User-to-User header sentbyinterworking entities complaint with 
> current versionETSI TISPAN TS 183 036 and 3GPP TS 29.163would only 
> contain the"encoding=hex"parameter, but 
> no"package=isdn-uui".Contentsof"uui-data"would bealignedwithwhat is 
> now defined for"package=isdn-uui".
>
> that"package=isdn-uui"is the defaultto be assumedif package parameter 
> is omittedin the"User-to-User"SIP header.
>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:21:25 +0100

Hello,

We support this comment, we also have raised this inconsistency in our list of remarks after reviewing draft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui-isdn-01 (C8 comment in http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/cuss/current/msg00325.html). We hope that draft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui-isdn-01 will be changed to be consistent with draft-ietf-cuss-sip-uui-04.txt on this topic.

Regards,

Celine Serrut-Valette
Orange Labs

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Belling, Thomas (NSN - DE/Munich)
Envoyé : vendredi 27 janvier 2012 20:49
À : ext Paul Kyzivat; [email-masked]; ext DRAGE, Keith (Keith)
Objet : Re: [cuss] Assuming "package=isdn-uui" as default if packageparameter is omitted?

Thanks Paul,

4.  Normative Definition
 
   ...

This seems to be fine.

7.  UAC requirements

...

4.  Normative Definition
 
   ...

Thomas

-----Original Message-----

	Thanks,
	Paul

referencesin 3GPP.