Subject: [dane] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dane-use-cases-04.txt> (Use Cases and Requirements for DNS-based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE)) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 06:17:24 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the DNS-based Authentication of
Named Entities WG (dane) to consider the following document:
- 'Use Cases and Requirements for DNS-based Authentication of Named
   Entities (DANE)'
  <draft-ietf-dane-use-cases-04.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-07-19. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Many current applications use the certificate-based authentication
   features in TLS to allow clients to verify that a connected server
   properly represents a desired domain name.  Traditionally, this
   authentication has been based on PKIX trust hierarchies, rooted in
   well-known CAs, but additional information can be provided via the
   DNS itself.  This document describes a set of use cases in which the
   DNS and DNSSEC could be used to make assertions that support the TLS
   authentication process.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dane-use-cases/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dane-use-cases/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.