Subject: [dane] Suggested Appendix A.1.2 Changes

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:49:52 -0700

I would like to suggest the following be added to appendix A.1.2

The desired behavior of aliasing an entire subtree is possible for DANE due
to the fact that we are using two layers of prefixing.  If one has the
following

sub5.example.com		IN CNAME sub6.example.com.
_tcp.sub5.example.com	IN DNAME _tcp.sub6.example.com.
sub6.example.com		IN A 10.0.0.0
_443._tcp.sub6.example.com	IN TLSA 1 1 3082...

In this case someone looking for the TLSA record for sub5.example.com using
TCP would be directed to the _tcp.sub6.example.com tree for resolution of
the record.  This allows for a wholesale re-assignment of all TLSA records
into a different tree.

---

From: Jakob Schlyter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:06:22 +0200

> the record.  This allows for a wholesale re-assignment of all TLSA records

This is an excellent example of how one can delegate more than one port without falling back to wildcards.

	jakob