Subject: [dane] FYI [TLS] New Version Notification for draft-wouters-tls-oob-pubkey-01.txt (fwd)

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:12:32 -0400 (EDT)

Since this relates closely to DANE,

Paul

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:21:11
From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [TLS] New Version Notification for draft-wouters-tls-oob-pubkey-01.txt
     (fwd)
X-Spam-Flag: NO

This is the new version of the draft incorporating the feedback from Quebec 
City
and the TLS list since then. It changes the draft from a new TLS extension to a
new Certificate Type for raw keys.

It also merges in the unpublished draft material from Hannes Tschofenig
and Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]> whom had also been working on raw RSA
TLS keys for use with CoAP (eg devices with no real time clock where
PKIX validation cannot work)

I did not yet change the draft from individual submission to working group item,
as I was waiting for confirmation on the TLW WG list of the last Quebec City
meeting.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wouters-tls-oob-pubkey-01

Paul

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:44:35
From: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
     [email-masked], [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-wouters-tls-oob-pubkey-01.txt
X-Spam-Flag: NO

A new version of I-D, draft-wouters-tls-oob-pubkey-01.txt has been successfully 
submitted by Paul Wouters and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-wouters-tls-oob-pubkey
Revision:	 01
Title:		 TLS out-of-band public key validation
Creation date:	 2011-10-31
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 11

Abstract:
    This document specifies a new TLS certificate type for exchanging raw
    public keys or their fingerprints in Transport Layer Security (TLS)
    and Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) for use with out-of-band
    authentication.  Currently, TLS authentication can only occur via
    PKIX or OpenPGP certificates.  By specifying a minimum resource for
    raw public key exchange, implementations can use alternative
    authentication methods.

    One such method is using DANE Resource Records secured by DNSSEC,
    Another use case is to provide authentication functionality when used
    with devices in a constrained environment that use whitelists and
    blacklists, as is the case with sensors and other embedded devices
    that are constrained by memory, computational, and communication
    limitations where the usage of PKIX is not feasible.

    The new certificate type specified can also be used to reduce the
    latency of a TLS client that is already in possession of a validated
    public key of the TLS server before it starts a (non-resumed) TLS
    handshake.

The IETF Secretariat
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls