Subject: [dane] RFC 6394 on Use Cases and Requirements for DNS-Based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:52:49 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6394

        Title:      Use Cases and Requirements for 
                    DNS-Based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) 
        Author:     R. Barnes
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 29477
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dane-use-cases-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6394.txt

Many current applications use the certificate-based authentication
features in Transport Layer Security (TLS) to allow clients to verify
that a connected server properly represents a desired domain name.
Typically, this authentication has been based on PKIX certificate
chains rooted in well-known certificate authorities (CAs), but
additional information can be provided via the DNS itself.  This
document describes a set of use cases in which the DNS and DNS
Security Extensions (DNSSEC) could be used to make assertions that
support the TLS authentication process.  The main focus of this
document is TLS server authentication, but it also covers TLS client
authentication for applications where TLS clients are identified by
domain names.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the DNS-based Authentication of Named Entities Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC