Subject: [dane] Clarification for "2.3.1. TLSA certificate usages"

From: Patrick Ben Koetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:25:38 +0100

Greetings,

I worked my way through
<http://vdukhovni.github.io/ietf/draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane-05.html>
today.

Unless I missed an explanation in another section I think the introduction to
"2.3.1. TLSA certificate usages" would benefit from a few words on the meaning
of "usage", "selector" and "associated data" or a reference to documents that
specify the terminology.

All subsections use them and I think knowing their meaning would help
understand the subsections better.

Regards

Patrick Koetter
p@rick

-- 
[*] sys4 AG
 
http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München
 
Sitz der Gesellschaft: München, Amtsgericht München: HRB 199263
Vorstand: Patrick Ben Koetter, Marc Schiffbauer
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Florian Kirstein

---

From: Viktor Dukhovni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 17:39:52 +0000

> understand the subsections better.

Thanks,  this is a timely comment, we're about to submit the work
in progress updates.  The SMTP draft was cleaved in twain early in
its evolution from a document that aimed to cover more protocols
than just SMTP.  The part that defines these terms is in its other
half, draft-dane-ops-02.html, we can add a brief description of
the terms with references to RFC 6698.

-- 
	Viktor.