Subject: [dane] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 11:13:18 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the DNS-based Authentication of Named Entities Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : SMTP security via opportunistic DANE TLS
        Authors         : Viktor Dukhovni
                          Wes Hardaker
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane-11.txt
	Pages           : 35
	Date            : 2014-08-02

Abstract:
   This memo describes a downgrade-resistant protocol for SMTP transport
   security between Mail Transfer Agents (MTAs) based on the DNS-Based
   Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) TLSA DNS record.  Adoption of
   this protocol enables an incremental transition of the Internet email
   backbone to one using encrypted and authenticated Transport Layer
   Security (TLS).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Viktor Dukhovni <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 18:39:56 +0000

> http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane-11

Modulo one typo introduced in this update, that will be fixed in
the final version:

diff --git a/draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane b/draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane
index f230f01..481ce4f 100644
--- a/draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane
+++ b/draft-ietf-dane-smtp-with-dane
@@ -489 +489 @@ available, and authentication using the data is impossible.  In
-what follows, the term "insecure" will also includes the case of
+what follows, the term "insecure" will also include the case of

I believe the document is almost ready for publication, if you've
not read a recent complete version of the document, please review
this version in full.

The key issue on which the WG may has not yet reached rough consensus
is digest agility.  This is now also specified in the latest revisions of
the OPs draft:

    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dane-ops-05#section-8
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dane-ops-05#section-7

Therefore we need to collectively decide whether digest agility as
specified in either document can move forward, and whether the SMTP
draft should contain such a specification by value or by reference
to the OPs draft.  Perhaps it is a problem to reference normative
material from the OPS draft which is currently stated to be reviewed
and published later than the SMTP draft?  Should we then drop
agility from the SMTP draft, and address it only in the OPS draft?

If agility (as specified) is to be required, I want other SMTP
implementors to know about it as soon as possible.

Other than agility, I am hoping to now shift my focus primarily to
the OPS draft.

A question for the chairs is whether we still want to stick to
coordinated publication of the SMTP and SRV docuements, given that
the former is largely done, and the latter still requires work,
which may not happen for some time.

-- 
	Viktor.