Subject: [dbound] Would it be possible to provide a quick specification for a per-domain Robots.txt-like text file?

From: Jeffrey Walton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 08:24:00 -0500

Before the group closes, would it be possible to provide a
specification for a per-domain Robots.txt-like text file?

My thinking is, a Robots.txt-like file will allow a subdomain to signal:

    * stop inheriting an administrative responsibilities from a parent
    * delegate to an external domain of their choosing

It seems to be an easier problem:

    * it does not need infrastructure changes
    * it does not require advanced knowledge by users
    * it only needs a basic grammar

Absence of a Robots.txt-like text file in the subdomain means keep
doing things as usual, which is no worse than we have now.

It dos not affect existing PSL files, like Mozilla runs. Lessons
learned from the PSL file may help with a grammar. Once you see how
well it works or does not work, then you can move it into DNS at your
leisure.

For security considerations, it seems to be no worse than any other
TOFU scheme. It seems to be no worse than a DNS based system since a
subdomain can be subverted at DNS by the domain owner/operator, too.

Jeff

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 16:05:17 -0500

> specification for a per-domain Robots.txt-like text file?

I'm sure it would, but since we made no progress on all the other
approaches to this problem that have been proposed I have doubts that
a new approach would get more traction.  But the I-D repo is open :)

A
-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]