Subject: [Dclc] Data Centre to the Home: Awesome Low Latency, Low Loss and Scalable Throughput

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 12:10:49 +0100

Lingli, Fred, DCLC list,

FYI - see links in posting below.

Highlights:
* 1ms 99%ile queuing delay for all DCTCP traffic over an e2e test 
network with real broadband equipment.
* DCTCP co-existence with Reno & Cubic, with no transport ID inspection.
* ~20 lines of code.
* Zero config

As well as public Internet, this is intended for heterogeneous 
multi-administrator DCTCP/Reno/Cubic data centres.

You will notice that this new AQM works with DCTCP 'as is' but some 
'safety features' must be added to DCTCP (such as fall-back to Reno or 
Cubic on loss). We plan to work with those maintaining the DCTCP code to 
make these changes.

Bob

PS. Note my new interim email while I am between jobs.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Awesome Low Latency, Low Loss and Scalable Throughput
Date: 	Fri, 10 Jul 2015 11:28:57 +0100
From: 	Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
To: 	Scheffenegger, Richard <[email-masked]>, Wesley Eddy 
<[email-masked]>, AQM IETF list <[email-masked]>

RIchard, Wes, AQM List,

We've been working as fast as we can doing thousands of experiments over
an e2e test network with real broadband equipment to check that the
awesomeness we are seeing with this new AQM is valid in many different
traffic scenarios.

Even at very high loads, we are still getting 99th %ile queuing latency
of about 1ms.

We tried to have an I-D written-up for Monday's deadline, but just
missed it. I have uploaded it to my personal Web site here and we will
post it to the IETF servers once they re-open next Monday:
<http://www.bobbriscoe.net/projects/latency/draft-briscoe-aqm-dualq-coupled-00.txt>

We also have a paper with plots of (a small selection of) all the
experiments. It is under submission to a conference, but we have
uploaded a pre-print to my site too:
‘Data Centre to the Home’: Ultra-Low Latency for All
<http://www.bobbriscoe.net/projects/latency/dctth_preprint.pdf>

Koen will be presenting this in the AQM session in Prague (some of the
details might be bumped to a supplementary slot in ICCRG), but we wanted
to give you as much material as possible in advance.

Cheers

Bob

-- 
________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoehttp://bobbriscoe.net/

-- 
________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe                               http://bobbriscoe.net/