Subject: [dcon] DCON BOF preliminary agenda

From: Simon Pietro Romano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:01:56 +0100

Dear all,

the preliminary agenda of the DCON BOF is now online at:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/82/agenda/dcon.txt

Cheers,

Simon

-- 
                             _\\|//_
                             ( O-O )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o00~~(_)~~00o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                     Simon Pietro Romano
               Universita' di Napoli Federico II
                  Computer Science Department
         Phone: +39 081 7683823 -- Fax: +39 081 7684219
                 e-mail: [email-masked]
           http://www.comics.unina.it/simonpietro.romano

     <<Molti mi dicono che lo scoraggiamento è l'alibi degli
    idioti. Ci rifletto un istante; e mi scoraggio>>. Magritte.
                          oooO
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(   )~~ Oooo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                           \ (    (   )
                            \_)    ) /
                                  (_/

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 16:22:27 +0200

Hi,

the IETF is getting closer. Now it would be a good time to start
discussions on any issue that may not be clear enough in the proposed
charter.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dcon/current/msg00002.html

Cheers,

Gonzalo

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 13:02:23 -0500

> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dcon/current/msg00002.html

I find one gaping hole in the charter:

*Why* is this work being undertaken?
What advantages are expected from this compared to using basic xcon?

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Simon Pietro Romano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 19:58:26 +0100

> What advantages are expected from this compared to using basic xcon?

What about improving scalability, as well as resilience?

Simon

Il 07/11/2011 19:02, Paul Kyzivat ha scritto:
> _______________________________________________
> dcon mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dcon
>

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 12:02:51 -0500

> What about improving scalability, as well as resilience?

Those sound like admirable goals.

Scalability is the one that first came to my mind.

Resilience could be another one, but including it will constrain the 
solution. So it would be good to clarify whether, and to what extent, 
resilience is a goal. Will we get agreement that this is a goal?

My point is that the goals ought to be mentioned in the charter.
Without, we will never know whether the ultimate solution meets the 
goals. Adding them to the charter will then probably lead to (later, as 
a WG deliverable) refining them into a more fine-grained set of 
requirements for the mechanism.

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Simon Pietro Romano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 09:18:30 +0100

Paul,

> Scalability is the one that first came to my mind.
Sure, and in fact it is the one I explicitly mentioned (perhaps with too 
little emphasis) in the charter text.
> resilience is a goal. Will we get agreement that this is a goal?

Right. I would personally like to include (at least some 'well-defined' 
form of) resilience, but I know this calls for more work in the 
potential WG to come. I think this should be one of the discussion 
points associated with the charter, in Taipei. Obviously, it would be 
great if we were already able to start such discussion *now* on the list.

> goals. Adding them to the charter will then probably lead to (later, 
> as a WG deliverable) refining them into a more fine-grained set of 
Agreed.

Thanks for your feedback,

Simon