Subject: Re: [decade] DECADE meeting minutes

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 04:06:55 -0400

>I'm surprised that the legal issues associated with the storage of copyright-infringing content in P2P caches were not debated further. 

That's because we would have been trapped in the meeting venue all night. :)

The meeting ran to 22:00, which is also the same time that the building closed.

Also, we're engineers not lawyers (at least most of us).

----- Original Message -----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: Song Haibin <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri Jul 31 02:49:50 2009
Subject: Re: [decade] DECADE meeting minutes

I didn't attend the BoF, so I quickly went over the minutes. (BTW, 
thanks to the note takers).

I'm surprised that the legal issues associated with the storage of 
copyright-infringing content in P2P caches were not debated further. 
I've been led to believe that P2P cache owners (e.g., ISPs) are liable 
for the content stored on their caches and this is a show-stopper for 
work on P2P caches. Opinions? What's the situation outside the US?

Thanks,

Spiros
_______________________________________________
decade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/decade

---

From: Spiros Spirou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:20:03 +0300

> Also, we're engineers not lawyers (at least most of us).

I understand. Discussions on this topic usually lead to nowhere. So, 
it's sensible to draw the line somewhere and get on with the work. The 
question is where this "somewhere" should be for DECADE? As we're now 
considering the DECADE framework, I thought it's a good time to try to 
answer this one.

Intuitively, I agree with Haibin that we should not touch legal issues 
(and let the market sort these out). However, there's probably value in 
understanding the current and foreseen situation a bit better before 
making a decision. Does copyright-infringing content on P2P caches 
really create problems for ISPs? Will this change in the foreseeable 
future? Is it universal? Should DECADE do something about it? Any 
opinions on these, especially from people familiar with the ISP 
perspective, would be helpful.

Thanks,

Spiros