Subject: [decade] Proposed CDMI summary text for DECADE Survey

From: "Rahman, Akbar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:27:29 -0400

Hi All,

As per the suggestion during the Quebec IETF meeting, we have come up
with the following proposed text for CDMI to add to the DECADE Survey.
We would appreciate if you could write back to us with any comments by
the end of Monday (August 1).  We apologize for the short time frame,
but since the Survey will be discussed in the IESG telechat on Aug. 11,
we need to update the Survey with this item quickly.

Sincerely,

Akbar/Rich/Richard

P.S. We had a review of the proposed text by some CDMI experts and they
were okay with the text. 

========================================================================
==

1.0.  Cloud Data Management Interface

  The Cloud Data Management Interface (CDMI) is a specification to
access

  and manage cloud storage.  CDMI is specified by the Storage
Networking

  Industry Association (SNIA).

 CDMI is a functional interface that applications can use to create,

  retrieve, update and delete data elements from the cloud.  As part of

  this interface the client will be able to discover the capabilities of

  the cloud storage offering and use this interface to manage containers

  and the data that is placed in them.  In addition, metadata can be set

  on containers and their contained data elements through this
interface.

  [Reference: http://www.snia.org/cdmi] <http://www.snia.org/cdmi%5d> 

  CDMI follows a traditional client server model, and operates over
HTTP.

  Similar to Amazon S3 buckets, users may create containers into which

  data objects may be stored.  Even though data objects may be accessed

  via a user-defined name within a container, it is also possible to
access

  data objects by a storage-defined Object ID which is provided in the

  response upon creation of a Data Object.

1.0.1.  Applicability to DECADE

  CDMI is an important initiative to standardize storage interfaces for

  cloud services which are rapidly becoming an important storage
service.

  In particular, it specifies a set of operations for creating, reading,

  writing, and managing data objects at a remote server (or set of

  servers) via a HTTP protocol.

1.0.2.  Data Access Interface

  Users can read and write data objects, and also update data in
existing

  data objects.  CDMI-specific operations are

  specified in which data objects are embedded as fields inside of a

  JSON Object, but the protocol also defines interfaces in which the

  contents of data objects can be written via simple HTTP GET/PUT

  operations.

1.0.3.  Data Management Operations

  Users can delete already-existing data objects.  The create operation

  also supports modes in which the created object is copied or moved

  from an existing data object.

  Data System Metadata also allows users to configure policies regarding

  time-to-live after which a data object is automatically deleted, as
well

  as the redundancy with which a data object is stored.

1.0.4.  Data Search Capability

  Users may list the contents of containers to locate data objects
matching

  any desired criteria.

1.0.5.  Access Control Authorization

  CDMI supports both public-unrestricted, public-restricted and private
modes.

  In particular CDMI allows access to data objects to be protected by

  ACLs which can allow or restrict access based on user, group,
administrative

  status, or whether a user is authenticated or anonymous,

1.0.6.  Resource Control Interface

  CDMI supports attributes 'cdmi_max_latency' and 'cdmi_max_throughput'
(set

  at either the level of containers, or a specific data object) which

  control the level of service offered to any users accessing a
particular

  data object.

1.0.7.  Discovery Mechanism

  Users are provided a well-known DNS name.  The DNS name is resolved to

  determine the IP address to which requests may be sent.

1.0.8.  Storage Mode

  Object-based, with the extension that objects can be organized into

  user-defined containers.

---

From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 18:14:25 +0000

Hi Akbar, Rich, Richard,

Thanks for coming up with this that fast!

Text looks good - I think we should mention the word "RESTful" somewhere - maybe in the third paragraph of 1.0.

Thanks,

Dirk

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rahman, Akbar
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [decade] Proposed CDMI summary text for DECADE Survey

Hi All,

As per the suggestion during the Quebec IETF meeting, we have come up with the following proposed text for CDMI to add to the DECADE Survey.  We would appreciate if you could write back to us with any comments by the end of Monday (August 1).  We apologize for the short time frame, but since the Survey will be discussed in the IESG telechat on Aug. 11, we need to update the Survey with this item quickly.

Sincerely,

Akbar/Rich/Richard

P.S. We had a review of the proposed text by some CDMI experts and they were okay with the text.

==========================================================================

  The Cloud Data Management Interface (CDMI) is a specification to access
  and manage cloud storage.  CDMI is specified by the Storage  Networking
  Industry Association (SNIA).

 CDMI is a functional interface that applications can use to create,
  retrieve, update and delete data elements from the cloud.  As part of
  this interface the client will be able to discover the capabilities of
  the cloud storage offering and use this interface to manage containers
  and the data that is placed in them.  In addition, metadata can be set
  on containers and their contained data elements through this interface.
  [Reference: http://www.snia.org/cdmi]<http://www.snia.org/cdmi%5d>

  CDMI follows a traditional client server model, and operates over HTTP.
  Similar to Amazon S3 buckets, users may create containers into which
  data objects may be stored.  Even though data objects may be accessed
  via a user-defined name within a container, it is also possible to access
  data objects by a storage-defined Object ID which is provided in the
  response upon creation of a Data Object.

  cloud services which are rapidly becoming an important storage service.

  Users can read and write data objects, and also update data in existing

  Data System Metadata also allows users to configure policies regarding
  time-to-live after which a data object is automatically deleted, as well
  as the redundancy with which a data object is stored.

  Users may list the contents of containers to locate data objects matching
  any desired criteria.

  CDMI supports both public-unrestricted, public-restricted and private modes.

  In particular CDMI allows access to data objects to be protected by
  ACLs which can allow or restrict access based on user, group, administrative
  status, or whether a user is authenticated or anonymous,

  CDMI supports attributes 'cdmi_max_latency' and 'cdmi_max_throughput' (set
  at either the level of containers, or a specific data object) which
  control the level of service offered to any users accessing a particular
  data object.

1.0.8.  Storage Mode

---

From: "Rahman, Akbar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 15:52:48 -0400

Hi Dirk,

Thanks. Yes, that is a good suggestion and we will add in the reference to RESTful interface as you suggested.

Akbar

-----Original Message-----
From: Dirk Kutscher [[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 02:14 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: Rahman, Akbar; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Proposed CDMI summary text for DECADE Survey

Hi Akbar, Rich, Richard,

Text looks good – I think we should mention the word “RESTful” somewhere – maybe in the third paragraph of 1.0.

Thanks,

Dirk

 

Hi All,

 

Sincerely,

Akbar/Rich/Richard

 

  operations.

  any desired criteria.

  data object.

1.0.8.  Storage Mode

  user-defined containers.