Subject: [Detnet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-detnet-security-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 11:33:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Deterministic Networking WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Deterministic Networking (DetNet) Security Considerations
        Authors         : Tal Mizrahi
                          Ethan Grossman
                          Andrew J. Hacker
                          Subir Das
                          John Dowdell
                          Henrik Austad
                          Kevin Stanton
                          Norman Finn
	Filename        : draft-ietf-detnet-security-01.txt
	Pages           : 39
	Date            : 2017-10-30

Abstract:
   A deterministic network is one that can carry data flows for real-
   time applications with extremely low data loss rates and bounded
   latency.  Deterministic networks have been successfully deployed in
   real-time operational technology (OT) applications for some years
   (for example [ARINC664P7]).  However, such networks are typically
   isolated from external access, and thus the security threat from
   external attackers is low.  IETF Deterministic Networking (DetNet)
   specifies a set of technologies that enable creation of deterministic
   networks on IP-based networks of potentially wide area (on the scale
   of a corporate network) potentially bringing the OT network into
   contact with Information Technology (IT) traffic and security threats
   that lie outside of a tightly controlled and bounded area (such as
   the internals of an aircraft).  These DetNet technologies have not
   previously been deployed together on a wide area IP-based network,
   and thus can present security considerations that may be new to IP-
   based wide area network designers.  This draft, intended for use by
   DetNet network designers, provides insight into these security
   considerations.  In addition, this draft collects all security-
   related statements from the various DetNet drafts (Architecture, Use
   Cases, etc) into a single location Section 7.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-detnet-security/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-detnet-security-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-detnet-security-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-detnet-security-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Grossman, Ethan A." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 20:55:36 +0000

Hi All,
This update to the DetNet Security draft includes the following work by the Security Design Team: 
1) Clarify existing material including Impact section.
2) Rewrite section Use Cases by Common Themes to use "statements" instead of "questions". 
3) Add new use cases to table Impact of Attacks by Use Case Industry.

We will present a brief update on the DetNet Security draft at IETF 100, and given that it is now a Workgroup draft, we hope to have some discussion with the group about how to engage the WG in bringing the draft to the next level. 

Thanks,
Ethan (as Editor, DetNet Security draft). 

-----Original Message-----
From: detnet [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2017 11:33 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Detnet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-detnet-security-01.txt

Abstract:

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

_______________________________________________
detnet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/detnet