Subject: [dhcwg] Revision of DHCPv6 DNS configuration options

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:49:52 -0500

I've revised "DNS Configuration options for DHCPv6" <to be published as 
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6 opt-dnsconfig-03.txt> based on input received during 
the WG last call.  Here is the summary of changes to the document:

Changes from draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsconfig-02.txt

    This document includes the following changes in response to comments
    made during the dhc/dnsext WG last call:

    o  Combined RFC2119 reference and reference to DHCPv6 specification
       into one "Terminology" section; added explicit normative reference
       to DHCPv6 specification.

    o  Changed name of "Domain Name Server" option to "DNS Resolver"
       option.

    o  Clarified and corrected filed names and descriptions of fields in
       the option format diagrams.

    o  Reworded "Appearance of these options" for clarity; removed
       Confirm from list of messages in which the options can appear.

    o  Clarified the type of attack that can be mounted through the
       Domain Search List option by copying text from RFC3997

As these changes are editorial or clarifying, draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6 
opt-dnsconfig-03.txt is ready for IESG review as a Proposed Standard.

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Jun Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:53:47 -0800

>     o  Changed name of "Domain Name Server" option to "DNS Resolver"

"DNS Resolver" sounds confusing to me. I believe the change is in
response to the following comment:
    "From a purist's point of view I'm tempted to say that you're
     not really looking for a DNS server here but instead for a
     (list of) recursive resolvers."

The section 2.4. of RFC 1034 says:
    "RESOLVERS are programs that extract information from name
     servers in response to client requests...
     A resolver will typically be a system routine that is directly
     accessible to user programs; hence no protocol is necessary
     between the resolver and the user program."

So a resolver is a DNS client that can be invoked by users through
a simple OS call.

There is no such concept as "recursive resolver" in DNS. A DNS
_server_ may be "recursive" or "iterative". A recursive server
can call a local resolver to pursue the query for the client at
another server. A root name server is always iterative.

I think the option really means a list of name servers, recursive
or iterative. So "Domain Name Server" makes more sense to me.

Jun

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:23:21 -0600

If you wanted to, you could call it a Caching Name Server, or a 
Recursive Resolver.   I don't think it's terribly important to make a 
distinction here, though, unless we think that there might be some 
other kind of name server that the DHCP server would want to talk about.

---

From: Jun Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:37:59 -0800

Caching name server is only one special kind of name servers.
I don't think the option is limited to specify caching name servers only.
I think domain name server is more general and appropriate here.

At 09:23 PM 2/28/2003 -0600, Ted Lemon wrote:
>If you wanted to, you could call it a Caching Name Server, or a Recursive 
>Resolver.   I don't think it's terribly important to make a distinction 
>here, though, unless we think that there might be some other kind of name 
>server that the DHCP server would want to talk about.