Subject: [dhcwg] Final draft of revised DHC WG charter

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 11:45:59 -0500

Included below is a final draft of the revised DHC WG charter.  This 
changes to this draft are primarily editorial to for improved clarity and 
readability.  Please review and comment on this draft charter by Wed, 
2/19.  The IESG will review the charter on 2/20.  Thanks...

- Ralph

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)
--------------------------------

  Charter
  Last Modified: 2003--2-16

  Current Status: Active Working Group

  Chair(s):
      R. Droms  <[email-masked]>

  Internet Area Director(s):
      Thomas Narten  <[email-masked]>
      E. Nordmark  <[email-masked]>

  Internet Area Advisor:
      Thomas Narten  <[email-masked]>

  Mailing Lists:
      General Discussion:[email-masked]
      To Subscribe:      http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
      Archive:           http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

Description of Working Group

The dhc working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP for automated
allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP
protocol stack parameters. DHCP is currently a "Draft Standard".  The
base protocol is document in RFC2131 and RFC2132.  Additional options
are documented in subsequent RFCs.

The DHC WG is responsible for reviewing (and sometimes developing)
DHCP options or other extensions (for both IPv4 and IPv6). The DHC WG
is expected to review all proposed extensions to DHCP to ensure that
they are consistent with the DHCP specification and other option
formats, that they do not duplicate existing mechanisms, etc.  The DHC
WG will not (generally) be responsible for evaluating the semantic
content of proposed options. The DHC WG will not adopt new proposals
for extensions to DHCP as working group documents without first
coordinating with other relevant working groups and determining who
has the responsibility for reviewing the semantic content of an
option.

The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

* The DHC WG will address security in DHCP

   o Develop and document security requirements for DHCP.  RFC 3118
     defines current security mechanisms for DHCPv4.  Unfortunately,
     RFC 3118 has neither been implemented nor deployed to date.
     Specific issues to be considered include:

     - Improved key management and scalability
     - Security for messages passed between relay agents and servers
     - Threats of DoS attacks through FORCERENEW
     - The increased usage of DHC on unsecure (e.g., wireless) and
       public LANs
     - The need for clients to be able to authenticate servers, without
       simultaneusly requiring client authentication by the server.

   o Develop and document a roadmap of any new documents or protocols
     needed to meet the security requirements for DHCP

* Write an analysis of the DHCP specification, including RFC2131,
   RFC2132 and other RFCs defining additional options, which identifies
   ambiguities, contradictory specifications and other obstacles to
   development of interoperable implementations.  Recommend a process
   for resolving identified problems and incorporating the resolutions
   into the DHCP specification.

* Complete or abandon work on DHCPv6 options that are currently work
   in progress:

     IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6
       <draft-troan-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation-01.txt>
     DNS Configuration options for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsconfig-01.txt>
     Load Balancing for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-loadb-02.txt>
     NIS Configuration Options for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-01.txt>
     Time Configuration Options for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-timeconfig-01.txt>
     Client Preferred Prefix option for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-cliprefprefix-00.txt>
     A Guide to Implementing Stateless DHCPv6 Service
       <draft-droms-dhcpv6-stateless-guide-00.txt>
     DSTM Options for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dstm-01.txt>
     DSTM Ports Option for DHCPv6
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dstm-ports-01.txt>

* Complete or abandon work on DHCP extensions and options that are
   currently work in progress:

     Failover protocol
       <draft-ietf-dhc-failover-11.txt>
     The DHCP Client FQDN Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-fqdn-option-04.txt>
     Resolution of DNS Name Conflicts Among DHCP Clients
       <draft-ietf-dhc-ddns-resolution-04.txt>
     DHCP Server MIB
       <draft-ietf-dhc-server-mib-07.txt>
     Considerations for the use of the Host Name option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-host-option-considerations-01.txt>
     DHCP Lease Query
       <draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-04.txt>
     DHCP Options for Internet Storage Name Service
       <draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-03.txt>
     Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Server MIB
       <draft-ietf-dhc-server-mib-07.txt>
     DHCP Option for Mobile IP Mobility Agents
       <draft-ietf-dhc-mipadvert-opt-00.txt>
     DHCP VPN Information Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option-02.txt>
     KDC Server Address Sub-option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-suboptions-kdc-serveraddress-00.txt>
     The Authentication Suboption for the DHCP Relay Agent Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-auth-suboption-00.txt>
     Link Selection sub-option for the Relay Agent Information Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection-03.txt>
     VPN Identifier sub-option for the Relay Agent Information Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-vpn-id-02.txt>
     RADIUS Attributes Sub-option for the DHCP Relay Agent Information Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-agentopt-radius-02.txt>
     DHCP Subscriber ID Suboption for the DHCP Relay Agent Option
       <draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-00.txt>

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:40:04 -0600

Ralph:

This looks fine.

My one comment would be that it would be great if we can put in something
about DHCPv6 in the first paragraph of the description, such as:

   The dhc working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP for automated
   allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP
   protocol stack parameters. DHCP is currently a "Draft Standard".  The
   base protocol is document in RFC2131 and RFC2132 for DHCPv4 and
   RFCxxxx for DHCPv6.  Additional options are documented in subsequent
   RFCs.

Perhaps by the time this charter is approved and published, we'll know
the RFC number (or perhaps the IESG can request this from IANA before
updating the official WG description).

However, this isn't a big issue and I don't want to delay the update any
further just because of this!!

Will you also publish the updated milestones?

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 11:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] Final draft of revised DHC WG charter

- Ralph

  Charter

  Chair(s):

  Internet Area Advisor:

  Mailing Lists:

     Failover protocol

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:51:33 -0500

Bernie - I agree about specific mention of DHCPv6 as you suggest.

Regarding the milestones ... I don't have milestones from most 
Internet-Draft authors, yet.  Rather than hold up the charter, I suggest we 
publish it as is and add the milestones as we get commitments from the authors.

- Ralph

At 10:40 AM 2/17/2003 -0600, Bernie Volz (EUD) wrote:

>From: Ralph Droms [<mailto:[email-masked]>mailto:[email-masked]]
>       To 
> Subscribe: 
> <http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg>http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg 
>
>       Archive: 
> <http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg>http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg 
>
>
><https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg 
>