Subject: [dhcwg] Jabber at dhc WG meeting in SF

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:48:04 -0500

I would like to take advantage of the jabber text conferencing
service as described below (thanks, Marshall, et al.) during
the dhc WG meeting next week.  I need to know two things:

1. Is anyone interested in remote participation through jabber?
2. Who will be willing to act as jabber scribe during the meeting?

Please let me know as soon as possible if you would listen
in on a jabber session from the WG meeting, so I can be sure
to identify a scribe and get copies of presentations posted
for remote viewing.

- Ralph

To: IETF-Announce:;
Subject: Text Conferencing for the 56th IETF meeting in San Francisco

  Remote Access for the 56th IETF meeting in San Francisco:
                              Text Conferencing

At each IETF meeting, two of the working group meeting rooms are equipped
for video multicast and remote participation.  That is, for every IETF
meeting slot, two of the working groups can see and hear the
meeting. For the 56th IETF, in *addition* to the usual network A/V, text
conferencing will be provided for every working group that meets.

All of the conference rooms will be hosted on

     conference.ietf.jabber.com

and each is named using the official IETF abbreviation found in the
agenda (e.g., "apparea",  "dhc", "forces", and so on -- for all the
examples that follow, we'll use "foobar" as the abbreviation).

Each conference room also has a 'bot which records everything that gets
sent. So, the minute taker can review this information right after the
meeting.

1. Before the meeting:

1.1. If you want to participate

If you don't already have one, get yourself a Jabber client, here are some
suggestions:

     platform    suggestion
     --------    ----------
     win32       http://exodus.jabberstudio.org
     'nix        http://gabber.sf.net
     macos       http://jabberfox.sf.net

When you start the client for the first time, it will eventually ask if
you want to register on a public server. Go ahead and do
that.

If you want to find out more, instead of choosing these defaults, here
are pointers to some additional information:

     list of clients:    http://www.jabber.org/user/clientlist.php
               howto:    http://www.jabber.org/user/userguide/
         server list:    http://www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.php

To make sure everything is running ok, do a "Join Group Chat" with your
Jabber client:

     Group/Room: plenary
     Server:     conference.ietf.jabber.com

This conference room is up and running right now (although probably no
one will be in it when you connect).

1.2. What the Chair does

If you want to make text conferencing available, you'll need to have a
volunteer scribe in the meeting room. The scribe will be typing in a
running commentary as to what's going on in the room (who's presenting,
what question is being asked, etc.)

So, why not send an email out on the mailing list now, before the
meeting, to ask for volunteers?

2. At the meeting

2.1. What the Chair does

When a session starts, the chair asks if someone in the room is willing
to act as "scribe". If no one volunteers, read no further, we're done!

Otherwise, the scribe should do a "Join Group Chat" with their Jabber
client, e.g.,

     Group/Room: foobar
     Server:     conference.ietf.jabber.com

2.2. What the Scribe does

The scribe types in a running commentary as to what's going on in the
room. For example, if a speaker makes a presentation, the scribe types
in the URL for the presentation (more on this in a bit).

Simlarly, during question time, a remote participant can type a question
into the room and the scribe can pass it on to the speaker.

2.3. What each Presenter does

Each presenter should put a copy of their presentation on a web server
somewhere, so remote participants can follow along.

2.4. Where to find the conference log

     http://www.jabber.com/chatbot/logs/conference.ietf.jabber.com/foobar/

NOTE: the logging facility will not be active until later this week...

                                   #######

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:38:38 -0500

I've received expressions of interest from several people who
would like to participate in the dhc WG meeting next week
through jabber.  That answers the question "Is anyone
interested?"

I still need an answer to the other question: "Who will be
willing to act as jabber scribe during the meeting?"  So,
please let me know if you will volunteer to be the "jabber
scribe"...

- Ralph