Subject: [dhcwg] Revision of DHCPv6 DNS configuration options

From: Ed Sawicki <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Mar 2003 09:47:39 -0800

I just joined this list and am reading the archives. I
noticed the message from Robert Elz on March 1, regarding
the issue of what names to use to describe various DNS
machines. I'm an author of a book on DNS and I face the
same issue. For most DNS newbies, the DNS world is daunting.
It's has many confusing terms.

To simplify it for readers in the early chapters of the book,
I use the term resolver in the traditional way. However,
"DNS Server" is a far too generic term so I avoid it. The
term "name server", while a bit better, is still ambiguous.
I instead use "authority server" to describe an authoritative,
iterative name server. I noticed that this term was used by
some in the BIND world and is terse and accurate.

That leaves that other critter that, as Robert pointed out,
has thus far eluded proper naming. I think "caching name server"
and other such terms are not appropriate because they give
the impression that this thing is both an authority server and
a recursive name lookup thingy. While BIND combines these
functions into one program, this has proven to be a security
issue and alternatives exist that are not combined. I've
decided to call this a "DNS cache" as Robert mentioned and
the djbdns crowd uses.

I, therefore, endorse the use of "DNS cache".  

-- 
Ed Sawicki <[email-masked]>
ALC

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg