Subject: [dhcwg] draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation-03.txt

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]> (by way of Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>)
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 11:21:49 -0400

(Thomas, Bernard and I agreed to move this discussion to the dhc WG mailing list...RD)

Hi Bernard.

Could I convince you to have a look at this document (it's about ready
for IETF last call), and in particular section  5.1 on radius? A more
detailed review can come later, but I'd welcome a quick sanity check
on the radius example (included below for ease of reference).

Thanks!
Thomas

5.1 Example network architecture

   Figure 1 illustrates a network architecture in which prefix
   delegation could be used.

                    +--------+                              \
                    |  AAA   |                               \
                    | server |                                \
                    +---+----+                                 |
                     ___|__________________                    |
                    /                      \                   |
                   |    ISP core network    |                  |
                    \__________ ___________/                   |
                               |                               | ISP
                       +-------+-------+                       | network
                       |  Aggregation  |                       |
                       |    device     |                       |
                       |  (delegating  |                       |
                       |    router)    |                       |
                       +-------+-------+                       |
                               |                              /
                               |DSL to subscriber            /
                               |premises                    /
                               |
                        +------+------+                     \
                        |     CPE     |                      \
                        | (requesting |                       \
                        |   router)   |                        |
                        +----+---+----+                        |
                             |   |                             | Subscriber
      ---+-------------+-----+- -+-----+-------------+---      | network
         |             |               |             |         |
    +----+-----+ +-----+----+     +----+-----+ +-----+----+    |
    |Subscriber| |Subscriber|     |Subscriber| |Subscriber|   /
    |    PC    | |    PC    |     |    PC    | |    PC    |  /
    +----------+ +----------+     +----------+ +----------+ /

   Figure 1: An example of prefix delegation.

   In this example an AAA server is configured with a prefix assigned to
   the customer at the time of subscription to the ISP service.  The
   prefix delegation process begins when the requesting router requests
   configuration information through DHCP.  The DHCP messages from the
   requesting router are received by the delegating router in the
   aggregation device.  When the delegating router receives the request,
   it consults the AAA server to authenticate and authorise the
   requesting router.  The AAA server returns the subscriber's
   prefix(es) in a Framed-IPv6-Prefix attribute as described in RFC 3162
   [7], and the delegating router returns them to the requesting router.

   The requesting router subnets the delegated prefix and assigns the
   longer prefixes to links in the subscriber's network.  In a typical
   scenario based on the network shown in Figure 1, the requesting
   router subnets a single delegated /48 prefix into /64 prefixes and
   assigns one /64 prefix to each of the links in the subscriber
   network.

   The prefix delegation options can be used in conjunction with other
   DHCP options carrying other configuration information to the
   requesting router.  The requesting router may, in turn, then provide
   DHCP service to hosts attached to the internal network.  For example,
   the requesting router may obtain the addresses of DNS and NTP servers
   from the ISP delegating router, and then pass that configuration
   information on to the subscriber hosts through a DHCP server in the
   requesting router.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg