Subject: [dhcwg] Option 12 Question

From: Doug Kehn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:32:17 -0500

All,

What is the recommended DHCP server response (DHCP_ACK / DHCP_NAK) when the
DHCP server detects duplicate hostnames (for different client IDs)?

Thanks...
doug
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Carl Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:50:51 -0700

> DHCP server detects duplicate hostnames (for different client IDs)?

	DHCP servers normally treat client host name options as requests for
that host name, not as claims of ownership.  Apart from that, behaviors vary.
Servers configured to do so may attempt to proxy DNS updates on behalf of the
client.  In any event, failure to deliver the requested host name should not
be grounds for NAKing.  Other things to note:

	-  in DHCPv4, client IDs are only guaranteed to be unique per network,
	   so it is certainly conceivable that the same host name request might
	   occur with differing client IDs while still representing a single
	   client

	-  if a server knows that a requested host name is in use by a host
	   other than the one currently requesting it, it could either return
	   a name corresponding to the address it leased to the client or it
	   could return no host name option

	-  if no host name option is returned to a client, the client should
	   verify that it owns the IP address (if any) belonging to the
	   requested name before using it;  failing that, the client could take
	   other steps (e.g. trying a DNS dynamic update) to accomplish its
	   goal

			Carl