Subject: [dhcwg] Last Call: NIS Configuration Options for DHCPv6 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 17:11:02 -0400

The IESG has received a request from the Dynamic Host Configuration 
Working Group to consider NIS Configuration Options for DHCPv6 
<draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the 
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2003-5-28.

Files can be obtained via http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-02.txt

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 21:18:03 -0400

I doubt that it's appropriate to bless this as standards-track.
Informational would be okay.

NIS is kind of a mess.  it is neither secure nor robust.  there are security
problems related to using it to distribute password information, and it
causes reliability problems for apps and hosts if not carefully set up and
maintained.

also, abliity to configure NIS seems fairly useless without also having the
ability to configure which NIS services (maps)  are used and which are
ignored, and the relationship of NIS services to other ways of getting the
same information. (e.g. the /etc/nsswitch.conf file or whatever it is on other
systems)  of course that facility is not specific to NIS, and so it doesn't
belong in this document, but it seems like it would be an essential component
of anything that was used to configure NIS.  (or did I miss the DHCPv6 option
that does this?)

shouldn't there be at least informative references for NIS and NIS+?

also unspecified: what's the interaction between this and the NIS binding 
discovery protocol?  (forget what its called)  has the use of that protocol
over IPv6 ever been defined?

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 00:58:47 -0500

> Informational would be okay.

To be clear, this draft is about how to represent NIS+ server 
information in a DHCPv6 packet, in cases where the application wants to 
represent this information in this packet.   It doesn't recommend that 
anybody use NIS+.

The nsswitch.conf issue should be handled in a separate draft, similar 
to RFC2937.   I don't think this needs to be mentioned in this draft - 
RFC2937 is about how to choose between different name service classes, 
not about any one name service class.

There is no RFC documenting an NIS binding protocol that I've been able 
to find - do you have a reference for that?