Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 3315 DUID-EN

From: "Vasu, Vallabhaneni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:17:15 -0500

As per the RFC 3315 Sec 9.3 DUID-EN is defined as below

[ Type (16bits)][ Enterprise-Number  (32 bits)][ identifier  (variable
length)]

How will server code know what is the length of identifier  field ?

Thanks
Vasu Vallabhaneni

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:00:50 -0700

> How will server code know what is the length of identifier  field ?

RFC3315 says specifically that the server shouldn't be poking around in 
the guts of the DUID.   The length is just what's left over in the 
buffer after the DUID type and Enterprise Number fields have been 
accounted for.

---

From: "Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:16:16 -0400

The length is determined by the length of the client identifier or server
identifier option. Since this is the only variable piece of the DUID-EN, the
length of the identifier is the option length - 2 - 4.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Vasu,
Vallabhaneni
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 3:17 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 3315 DUID-EN

Thanks
Vasu Vallabhaneni