Subject: [dhcwg] Protocol Action: 'IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:04:32 -0400

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6 '
   <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and Margaret Wasserman.

Technical Summary
 
The Prefix Delegation options provide a mechanism for automated
delegation of IPv6 prefixes using DHCP. This mechanism is intended
for delegating a long-lived prefix from a delegating router (e.g., at
an ISP) to a requesting router (e.g., at a customer site), across an
administrative boundary, where the delegating router does not require
knowledge about the topology of the links in the network to which the
prefixes will be assigned.

The Prefix Delegation option makes it possible for an ISP to
dynamically assign a prefix of arbitraty size (e.g., a /64 or /48) to
an end site, with the end site taking responsibility for further
sub-dividing the prefix and assigning subnet numbers to its internal
links.
 
Working Group Summary
 
There was WG consensus for this document in both the DHC and IPv6 WGs.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This protocol has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten. The
option has been implemented (e.g., it is being tested at
interoperability events) and some ISPs in Japan have started using it.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg