Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 server and usage of link-local address of DHCPv6 client

From: "Barany, Pete" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:40:07 -0700

Hi,

Question:

When a DHCPv6 server receives a request for an IA (specifically, a
non-temporary IA or IA_NA) is there a default procedure in RFC 3315 such
that the DHCPv6 will use the 64-bit Interface ID from the link-local
address found in either the:

(1) source address field of the SOLICIT message if the DHCPv6 server is
on the same link as the requesting DHCPv6 client; or
(2) peer-address field of the RELY-FORW message if the DHCPv6 server is
on a link different from the requesting DHCPv6 client and consequently a
Relay Agent is used?

to construct the address(es) in response to the IA request?

Regards,

Pete 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:53:09 -0400

How the DHCPv6 server generates the addresses it gives to clients is not
addressed in the specification and is up to the DHCPv6 server. Sequentially,
random, etc can all be used (sequential probably isn't good as it is easy to
guess?). Note that the server is not specifically given the 64-bit interface
ID so it likely can not use that method. The client identifier may have
information that could be used to construct the 64-bit interface ID but that
may not be for that interface (remember, a client can have many interfaces
but has ONE client identifier). The server could pull the information from
the source address (or relayed information), but that's not recommended
either.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Barany, Pete
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 11:40 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 server and usage of link-local address of DHCPv6
client

Hi,

Question:

Regards,

Pete