Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Re: Extending the DHCPv4 option codes

From: "Barr Hibbs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:20:22 -0700

I wasn't part of the initial discussion that reserved option codes 128-254
for site-specific uses, but can easily imagine that it seemed at the time as
if a network administrator might indeed have enough control over which DHCP
clients were deployed to specify a client that did request organization or
site-specific options.

I know of very few DHCP clients in wide use (other than the ISC client) that
will easily support client requests for site-specific options, so it may be
the right moment now to eliminate the designation of this range as
reserved -- besides which, PXE, Cisco IP phones, and a few "thin clients"
use options from this range already, hardly site-specific.

My opinion about the likely remaining lifetime of IPv4 is that I don't
believe it will be likely to go away until ubiquitous implementations are
available for network devices, and equipment vendors whole-heartedly embrace
it.  I suspect that what we're more likely to have is IPv6 between islands
of IPv4.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg