Subject: [dhcwg] WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-pxe-options-00.txt (SECOND REQUEST)

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:09:00 -0400

SECOND REQUEST - To date, the only responses to this WG last call have been
the chair's review of the document and a response in support of submitting
the document for publication.  If enough responses are not received to
support the acceptance of this document, it *will not* be submitted to the
IESG for publication.  Please respond to this WG last call.  If you support
acceptance of the document without change, respond with a simple
acknowledgment, so that support for the document can be assessed.

-----
This message announces a WG last call on "DHCP Preboot eXecution Environment
(PXE) Suboptions" <draft-ietf-dhc-pxe-options-00.txt>.  The last call will
conclude at 5PM ET on Friday, 10/24/2003.

Please respond to this WG last call.  If you support acceptance of the
document without change, respond with a simple acknowledgment, so that
support for the document can be assessed.

draft-ietf-dhc-pxe-options-00.txt documents three DHCP options that are in
common use by PXE.  These options uniquely identify booting client machines
and their pre-OS runtime environment so the DHCP and/or PXE boot server can
return the correct OS bootstrap image (or pre-boot application) name and
server to the client. This draft is available as
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-pxe-options-00.txt

- Ralph Droms 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:16:52 -0400

Other than my earlier comments, mostly on changing "suboption" to "option"
in the draft (which Ralph also agreed with), I would like to see this draft
advance.

There are apparently also options in the site-specific options space being
used by PXE (128-133 if I recall the numbers correctly) and perhaps these
should be documented as well. Perhaps in another draft since they are
outside the scope of the "IETF" options space - though if the extended
options draft is advanced and goes with the idea of reclaiming some of the
site-specific options space, these other PXE options may also be part of the
IETF options space.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ralph
Droms
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 11:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-pxe-options-00.txt (SECOND
REQUEST)

-----

- Ralph Droms

---

From: Josh Littlefield <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:12:46 -0400

I support publishing this draft, if the suboption terminology is changed 
to "option", to reflect common usage.  I also think the number space 
management within the options should be addressed.  Assuming this will 
not be managed by IANA, it should be explicitly stated. I also believe 
the references should be separated into normative and informative 
references.

On that last point, I observe that the "Preboot Execution Environment 
(PXE) Specification" contains a great deal of DHC protocol detail, in 
terms of flows and packet contents.  While I don't believe that text is 
at odds with the base DHCP RFCs, and there are sections in the PXE 
specification clearly describing the relationship to DHCP in terms of 
employing the standard where applicable, I'm concerned with an IETF 
document having a normative reference to another specification that 
restates an IETF standard.

I assume this document to be published as an Informational RFC, simply 
documenting the use of specific options in a vendor/consortium 
specification?  If so, then I suppose there should be no confusion as to 
whether the DHCP standard is in any way modified by statements in the 
PXE standard, in which case I don't think there is an issue.  But I 
wanted to raise this point for WG discussion.

  -josh

-- 
=====================================================================
Josh Littlefield                                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
[email-masked]                             1414 Massachusetts Avenue
tel: 978-936-1379  fax: same               Boxborough, MA  01719-2205