Subject: [dhcwg] Comments on draft-rentschler-dhc-discovery-00.txt

From: "Christian Stredicke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:17:34 +0100

Hi there!

We found Markus' draft after a discussion in the SIP area. The problem
that we have is to tell a SIP user agent (which is typically a voice
over IP phone according to RFC3261) that the access to the Internet has
changed (for example, the ISP has changed the IP address) or has been
rebooted. In the case of an IP address change, the client must
reregister as soon as possible in order to stay reachable from the
outside world. In the case of a reboot it is helpful to restore the
state in a possibly present application layer gateway in the Internet
access device.

To me this looks like a problem that potentially other applications (for
example, online gaming) also have. Therefore I think it makes sense to
use a standard out of the scope of SIP to solve this problem.
Practically, DHCP is used in these networks and to me it seems only
natural to use the DHCP to solve our problem.

Therefore, I support the draft written by Markus. For the problem that
we see it would solve the problem in an easy and efficient way. Please
continue the good work in this area!

Thanks, Christian

--

Christian Stredicke

tel:+49.30.39833.401 (ENUM & PSTN)