Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Options differing in OFFER and ACK

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 08:59:39 -0800

The client probably should drop the packet, and assume it's a malformed DHCP
packet.  I don't think a DECLINE is really appropriate here since this isn't
even the same IP as what was OFFERed.  The client can't really be sure that
this was a valid DHCP transaction since it violates protocol....

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin A. Noll [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 8:54 AM
To: Kostur, Andre; Ted Lemon
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Options differing in OFFER and ACK

Yep, I understand this scenario.

What I'm missing is if the client receives an ACK, but the ACKed IP is
different than
the OFFERed IP.

Seems to me that the client should drop the ACK (like Ted suggests), or send
a 
DHCPDECLINE. I just don't see any recommendation for this.