Subject: [dhcwg] Comments on "Configured Tunnel End Point Option for DHCPv6"

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:52:08 -0500

Some comments on "Configured Tunnel End Point Option for DHCPv6",
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-ctep-opt-00.txt:

Because there are several types of tunnels defined in RFC 2893, it would be
helpful to mention explicitly the section (section 4, I think?) in which
"configured tunnels" are defined.

Unless I'm misunderstanding RFC 2893 (which is not unlikely), the endpoint
of a configured tunnel should be the IPv4 address of a router that can strip
off the IPv4 header and forward the tunnelled IPv6 datagram to its
destination.  So, the CTEP address for each endpoint should be an IPv4 address?

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "S. Daniel Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:44:20 +0900

> Because there are several types of tunnels defined in RFC
> 2893, it would be helpful to mention explicitly the section (section
4, I
> think?) in which "configured tunnels" are defined.

Ok. I will try do that.

> Unless I'm misunderstanding RFC 2893 (which is not unlikely),
> the endpoint of a configured tunnel should be the IPv4 address of a
router
> that can strip off the IPv4 header and forward the tunnelled IPv6
datagram to its
> destination.  So, the CTEP address for each endpoint should

Above scenario is different from this draft. For the IPv6 connectivity
via tunnel,
we can consider two kinds of scenarios as below;

1) [IPv6 host]----[IPv6/4]---[IPv4 legacy network]---[IPv4/6]---[IPv6
host]
                                     ===============================
                                                 configured tunnel

2) [IPv4/6 host]---[IPv4/6]---[IPv6]
                     =======
              configured tunnel

This draft aims the first scenario, so IPv6 tunnel end-point address
should be
delegated to IPv6 host from DHCPv6 server.

For the second scenario, IPv4 address should be used for configured
tunnel end-point
on the IPv4/6 dual host as you indicated. For that, I also proposed a
new draft.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daniel-dhc-ipv6in4-opt-00.txt

Hope this helps...

Daniel

---

From: "S. Daniel Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:45:46 +0900

> Because there are several types of tunnels defined in RFC 2893, it
> would be helpful to mention explicitly the section (section
4, I

Ok. I will try do that.

> Unless I'm misunderstanding RFC 2893 (which is not unlikely), the
> endpoint of a configured tunnel should be the IPv4 address of a
router
datagram to its

Above scenario is different from this draft. For the IPv6 connectivity
via tunnel, we can consider two kinds of scenarios as below;

                                         =======================
                                                 configured tunnel

This draft aims the first scenario, so IPv6 tunnel end-point address
should be delegated to IPv6 host from DHCPv6 server.

For the second scenario, IPv4 address should be used for configured
tunnel end-point on the IPv4/6 dual host as you indicated. For that, I
also proposed a new draft.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daniel-dhc-ipv6in4-opt-00.txt

Hope this helps...

Daniel

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:06:03 -0500

Daniel - I'm still having trouble understanding the scenario this draft is
addressing.  In scenario 1, where are the endpoints of the configured
tunnel? The two IPv6 hosts?  If that's right, is one of the IPv6 hosts is
the DHCPv6 client, which receives the CTEP option containing the address of
the other IPv6 host?

- Ralph

At 09:44 AM 2/11/2004 +0900, S. Daniel Park wrote:

> > the endpoint of a configured tunnel should be the IPv4 address
> > of a router
> > that can strip off the IPv4 header and forward the tunnelled
> > IPv6 datagram to its

---

From: "S. Daniel Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:48:29 +0900

[IPv6 host]----[IPv6/4 Router]===IPv4===[IPv4/6 Router]
        |           (1)             configured Tunnel
        |
       +--------[IPv6 Router]----IPv6 
                 (2)

For usage of Configured Tunnel via IPv4, IPv6 host
must make use of (1) as destinaiton and its IPv6
address will be a tunnel end-point address. 

Hope this helps

Daniel

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 11:06 AM
> To: S. Daniel Park
> Cc: [email-masked]; 'Vijayabhaskar A K'; 'S. Daniel Park'
> Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Comments on "Configured Tunnel End Point 
> Option for DHCPv6"
> 
> 
> Daniel - I'm still having trouble understanding the scenario 
> this draft is addressing.  In scenario 1, where are the 
> endpoints of the configured tunnel? The two IPv6 hosts?  If 
> that's right, is one of the IPv6 hosts is the DHCPv6 client, 
> which receives the CTEP option containing the address of the 
> other IPv6 host?
> 
> - Ralph
> 
> > > router that can strip off the IPv4 header and forward the 
> tunnelled
> > > IPv6 datagram to its

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:00:25 -0500

I understand this option to be passing the IPv6 address of the local
endpoint of configured tunnel to a host; that is, the IPv6 address of some
device that is reachable via IPv6 from the host.  If I have that right,
wouldn't the reachability to the external IPv6 network (through the tunnel)
be advertised through a routing protocol?  Why would this option be
necessary?

- Ralph