Subject: RE: [dhcwg] draft-chown-dhc-dual-stack-00

From: Changming Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:56:34 -0800

This is done on the client. No table is required execpt one additional
attribute is difined in client data structure. Once the client learns any
configuration info, its preference is checked to see if it is better or
equal than currentlly installed. If so, install it and the system start to
use it. Otherwise, ignore it (actually installed in the client table). There
are some minor details which can be easy to be figured out.  

For devices with multiple DHCP client enabled, I guess usually some kind of
config may be needed anyway. Otherwise the latest one will always be used
based on the above rule as they will have the same preference by default.
But you do have a point.

As I said earlier, this can be done on the server side as well but some
co-ordination is required among these server, which may not be possible in
some environment.

CHangming.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Lemon
To: Changming Liu
Cc: [email-masked]' '
Sent: 3/3/2004 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] draft-chown-dhc-dual-stack-00

On Mar 3, 2004, at 5:18 PM, Changming Liu wrote:
> It is a very simple solution: when enabling a DHCP client on an
> interface, allow the end user to define a preference value from 0 to 
> 255 and
> default to 128.

So this is done on the client?   Is preference assigned to different 
classes of DHCP server (e.g., v4 vs. v6) or different server 
identification information, or what?   I can envision a table on the 
client that contains a list of server ids and preferences, although 
this seems not so helpful in the sense that the client now has to be 
configured before it can use the network.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg