Subject: [dhcwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:42:44 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: DHCP Lease Query
	Author(s)	: R. Woundy
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-07.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 2004-3-22
	
A DHCP server contains considerable authoritative information
concerning the IP addresses it has leased to DHCP clients.  Other
processes and devices, many that already send and receive DHCP format
packets, sometimes need to access this information.  The leasequery
protocol is designed to give these processes and devices a
lightweight way to access information that may be critical to their
operation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-07.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:23:12 -0800

Questions:

Section 6.2:

      o The Parameter Request List option (option 55) SHOULD be set to
        the options of interest to the requester.  The interesting
        options are likely to include the IP Address Lease Time option
        (option 51), the Relay Agent Information option (option 82) and
        possibly the Vendor class identifier option (option 60).  In the
        absence of a Parameter Request List option, the server SHOULD
        return the same options it would return for a DHCPREQUEST
        message which didn't contain a DHCPLEASEQUERY message, which
        includes those mandated by [RFC 2131, Section 4.3.1] as well as
        any options which the server was configured to always return to
        a client.

Curious why this particular clause got added.  Under the previous drafts,
the client asked for whatever options they were interested in, and that's
that.  With this, the Leasequery would be answering with possibly a whole
bunch of extra stuff.  I don't see why this shouldn't be a MUST (as in, the
requestor MUST supply a Parameter Request List for the options that it is
interested in.  With no request list, the reqestor would get the
Active/Unassigned/Unknown indication and CHADDR, but that's it).

Section 6.4:

      o DHCPUNIMPLEMENTED

        The DHCPUNIMPLEMENTED response to the DHCPLEASEQUERY message
        indicates that DHCPLEASEQUERY is not implemented by this DHCP
        server.

        The DHCPUNIMPLEMENTED message can apply to any unimplemented
        messages, and MAY be used to respond to messages other than
        DHCPLEASEQUERY.

Since according to this draft, all servers are required to implement all
three query types, why is DHCPUNIMPLEMENTED listed in here?  Shouldn't that
be it's own draft, since it no longer has anything to do with leasequery
(directly)?