Subject: [dhcwg] Lifetime option (draft-ietf-dhc-lifetime-00.txt)

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:14:25 +0200

I would like to get some feedback from you on the lifetime option in
order to submit a revised draft ASAP.

The main issue, is what should happen when the lifetime expires.
Currently it says:

   When the client detects that the lifetime has expired, it must do as
   follows.

   First it MUST ignore or remove the existing lifetime value.  If it
   does not receive a new value in a later request, it MUST behave as if
   no value was ever provided.

   Next it MUST wait for a random amount of time between 0 and
   INF_MAX_DELAY.  INF_MAX_DELAY is defined in [RFC 3315].

   Finally it must make a new DHCP request, updating the current
   configuration.  This request will usually be an Information-request
   Message.  If client fails to receive a valid response from a server,
   it MUST retransmit the message according to the retransmission rules
   specified in [RFC 3315].

   If the update fails, the current configuration must be kept as if no
   lifetime was ever provided.

I think it might be better to retry. The retry interval could be a
function of the lifetime. The reason I didn't in the current version,
is that I was worried what would happen if someone sent a forged reply
with say a lifetime of 1s.

What do you think? Should there be some retry? What should the
function be?

Also, should a lifetime of say 0 or 0xffffffff have any special
meanings, e.g. infinity? Personally I don't see a need for that.
If not, 0 is meaningless, so I could possibly say that the value
must be set to non-zero by server, and that clients should ignore 0.

I would be happy for any other comments you might have.

Stig

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg