Subject: [dhcwg] dhc WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-v4-threat-analysis-02

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 06:00:14 -0400

This message announces a WG last call on "Dynamic Host Configuration
Protocol for IPv4 (DHCPv4) Threat Analysis"
<draft-ietf-dhc-v4-threat-analysis-02>.  The last call will conclude
at (insert date here).

Please respond to this WG last call.  If you support acceptance of the
document without change, respond with a simple acknowledgment, so that
support for the document can be assessed.

"Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv4 (DHCPv4) Threat
Analysis" provides a comprehensive threat analysis of the Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocol.  DHCPv4 (RFC 2131) is a stable, widely used
protocol for configuration of host systems in a TCP/IPv4 network. RFC
2131 did not provide for authentication of clients and servers, nor
did it provide for data confidentiality. This is reflected in the
original "Security Considerations" section of RFC 2131, which
identifies a few threats and leaves development of any defenses
against those threats to future work. Beginning in about 1995 DHCP
security began to attract attention from the Internet community,
eventually resulting in the publication of RFC 3118 in 2001. Although
RFC 3118 was a mandatory prerequisite for the DHCPv4 Reconfigure
Extension, RFC 3203, it has had no known usage by any commercial or
private implementation since its adoption. The DHC Working Group has
adopted a work item to review and modify or replace RFC 3118 to afford
a workable, easily deployed security mechanism for DHCPv4. This memo
provides a comprehensive threat analysis of the Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocol for use both as RFC 2131 advances from Draft
Standard to Full Standard and to support our chartered work improving
the acceptance and deployment of RFC 3118. This draft is available as
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-v4-threat-analysis-02.txt

- Ralph Droms 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg