Subject: [dhcwg] Fwd: Re: Re: Automatic Configuration of IPv6-over-IPv4 Tunnels

From: PARK SOO HONG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:04:39 +0000 (GMT)

I am forwarding this mail since I missed dhcwg address.

------- Original Message -------
Sender : PARK SOO HONG<[email-masked]> Engineer/Mobile Platform Lab/Samsung Electronics
Date : Aug 05, 2004 05:38
Title : Re: Re: Automatic Configuration of IPv6-over-IPv4 Tunnels

Fred, which draft do yo mean ?

To avoid reader's confusion, I am writing this mail since current subject

(Automatic Configuration of IPv6-over-IPv4 Tunnels) is so ambiguous.

Regarding this issue, currently two drafts were proposed in this meeting

however the aspect of these draft is so different.

[1] DHCP Option for Configuring IPv6-over-IPv4 Tunnels
<draft-daniel-dhc-ipv6in4-opt-04.txt>

Abstract:This document provides a mechanism by which the DHCPv4 servers can
provide

information about the configured IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel
end-point. The IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack

nodes can use this
information to set up a configured tunnel to the tunnel end-point
to obtain

IPv6 connectivity.

[2]Configured Tunnel End-Point Configuration using DHCPv4
<draft-daniel-dhc-dhcpv4-tep-conf-01>

Abstract:The intent of this draft is to provide a solution to automate tunnel
end-point configuration

for a configured IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel. This
uses a DHCPv4 option to percolate the tunnel

end-point configuration
information. This is very useful to connect a newly deployed native

IPv6 cloud to other existing IPv6 networks using IPv4 backbone as
well as to connect isolated

dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 nodes to IPv6
networks through IPv4.

Hope this helps...

PS:

As author of these draft, I am wondering how long time do I have to wait
for the "symetric" ?

This means that I have to wait for the v6ops adoption of related drafts to
be WG items ?

I think it is not smart reaction because these draft are for DHCP solutions.
It means these

drafts do not mean all (perfect) solutions for discoverying IPv6-over-IPv4
tunnels.

Furthermore, I already received v6ops comments via mailing list on "draft-daniel-dhc-ipv6in4-opt-04.txt"

and tried to reflect gathered comments until now. In addition, as I said,
my implementation is almost

done...Do I have to wait another v6ops comments again and again ? How long
?....

I believe this suggestion is better ...

"[11:49:40] <timchown> lemon: adopt this, get it ready to go, THEN hold
until we release or get v6ops consensus"

Regards

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)

Mobile Platform Laboratory. SAMSUNG Electronics

------- Original Message -------
Sender : Fred L. Templin<[email-masked]>
Date : Aug 05, 2004 03:18
Title : Re: Automatic Configuration of IPv6-over-IPv4 Tunnels
I proposed a DHCPv4 option for tunnel endpoint discovery in an I-D

about 2 years ago, and the document was widely ignored. Why all of

a sudden this renewed interest? (Asked the other way around, why

was there no interest 2 years ago when the I-D was still active?)

Fred

[email-masked]

Ralph Droms wrote:

> Jordi - I'm a little confused (perhaps by 3GPP versus 3GPP2?).  We have

> a request to fast track a DHCPv6 option for MIPv6 home agent options.  I

> guess that's for 3GPP2, not 3GPP.  3GPP is not using DHCP at all?

> - Ralph

> At 10:43 AM 8/4/2004 -0700, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

>> Hi Syam,

>> I think this is an interesting work, and should be continued within

>> DHC WG.

>> But I'm not sure will fit in the zeroconfiguration requirements,

>> because for example in 3GPP DHCP is not being used.

>> Anyway, we are already discussing this and will consider the option.

>> But it could be feasible in ISP scenarios when only the own-ISP

>> customers are the goal for providing a transition service.

>> Regards,

>> Jordi

>> ---- Original Message ----

>> From: "Syam Madanapalli" <[email-masked]>

>> To: <[email-masked]>

>> Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 8:10 AM

>> Subject: Automatic Configuration of IPv6-over-IPv4 Tunnels

>> > Hello,

>> >

>> > We have a draft that propose a DHCPv4 Option for

>> > carrying Tunnel

>> > Informtion, so that the tunnels can be configured

>> > automatically

>> > between the IPv6 clouds seperated by v4 network.

>> >

>> > The intent of this draft is to provide a solution to

>> > automate tunnel

>> > end-point configuration for a configured

>> > IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel. This

>> > uses a DHCPv4 option to distribute the tunnel

>> > end-point configuration

>> > information. This is very useful to connect a newly

>> > deployed native

>> > IPv6 cloud to other existing IPv6 networks using IPv4

>> > backbone as

>> > well as to connect isolated dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 nodes

>> > to IPv6 clouds

>> > through IPv4 Network.

>> >

>> > This draft proposesa DHCP option as well as a

>> > procedure to automate

>> > the bidirectional tunnel configuration.

>> >

>> > I am wondering if this fits into v6ops

>> > zeroconfiguration requirements

>> > for tunnel configuration. Any comments/suggestions

>> > welcome.

>> >

>> > PPT:

>> > http://home.megapass.co.kr/~natpp00/IETF-60-DHCPv4-CTEP.ppt

>> > Dradft:

>> >

>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daniel-dhc-dhcpv4-tep-conf-01.txt

>> >

>> >

>> > Thank you,

>> > Syam

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> > __________________________________

>> > Do you Yahoo!?

>> > Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers!

>> > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

>> **********************************

>> Madrid 2003 Global IPv6 Summit

>> Presentations and videos on line at:

>> http://www.ipv6-es.com

>> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged

>> or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the

>> individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be

>> aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the

>> contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

Regards

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)

Mobile Platform Laboratory. SAMSUNG Electronics

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg