Subject: [dhcwg] DHCP and MAC Addresses

From: "Juan J. Flores" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:29:10 -0600

Dear all,

Is there a way to have a DHCP server provide service only to a subset of 
computers in the local network?  We assume we know the MAC Addresses of 
those computers.  Using host is not nice, since it would tie computers 
to IPs and we'd be giving away the D (dynamic) from DHCP.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Juan Flores

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Kevin A. Noll" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:14:06 -0500

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that this is not 
directly addressed by any of the current RFCs or drafts. 

This actually is intentional since one of the requirements of DHCP 
is not to dictate policy, but to provide a mechanism (see RFC 2131, 
section 1.6).

By picking and choosing which MAC addresses you service via DHCP, you
are implementing policy.

That said, how to accomplish your goal depends on the DHCP implementation 
that you are using. There are several DHCP server implementations that
can do what you are seeking to accomplish.

--kan-- 

--
Kevin A. Noll, KD4WOZ
CCIE, CCDP
Perfect Order, Inc.		
[email-masked]
717-796-1936

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Juan J. Flores
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 1:29 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] DHCP and MAC Addresses

Dear all,

Best regards,

Juan Flores

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:32:46 +0100 (CET)

> computers in the local network?  We assume we know the MAC Addresses of those 
> computers.  Using host is not nice, since it would tie computers to IPs and 
> we'd be giving away the D (dynamic) from DHCP.

That's really dependant on the implementation of the dhcp server.
We've developed such a server for docsis provisioning of cable modems.
Only mac-addrs of registred modems get an ip (which may be dynamic).

I think this is not possible with the ISC or Microsoft DHCP server.
On a unix-machine you could use 'pf', 'ipfw' or any other firewall
support layer2-filtering to achieve the same thing.

Regards

Patrick Guelat

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:13:17 -0800

> I think this is not possible with the ISC or Microsoft DHCP server.

This isn't true; it is possible with the ISC server.  I can elaborate
off-list if you wish.

I've given Juan Flores all the clues he needs off-list to accomplish
what he's trying to (with ISC DHCP, as it turns out what he's using).

So I don't think there's a reason for further comment on this thread.

-- 
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Operations Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.		-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg