Subject: RE: [Dime] draft-ietf-dime-mip6-integrated-07.txt

From: "Korhonen, Jouni /TeliaSonera Finland Oyj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:32:44 +0200

Hi Robert.

--- alkuperäinen viesti ---
Lähettäjä: "Marks, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Aihe: RE: [Dime] draft-ietf-dime-mip6-integrated-07.txt
Päivämäärä: 23. tammikuuta 2008
Aika: 16:17:16

Hi Jouni,

The VAAA should not be allowed to overwrite the reply. Instead, the VAAA
should propose the local HA in the request, as is done for NAS assigned
HA.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:58 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Dime] draft-ietf-dime-mip6-integrated-07.txt

Hi Alper,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alper Yegin [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 17. tammikuuta 2008 12:05
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Dime] draft-ietf-dime-mip6-integrated-07.txt
> 
> This I-D allows HA assignment by the NAS and HAAA. But how 
> about HA assignment by VAAA?

A good point. The current text does not reflect this type of
deployment clearly enough, as the MIP6 integrated scenario 
bootstrapping does not really define such. Local HA is within
ASP and the current architecture does not make explicit
distinction between NAS and VAAA roles when it comes to local
HA assigment. 

However, in my opinion the I-D does not prohibit such
deployment either.

> In WiMAX architecture, there are three distinct networks involved:
> - ASN: that's where the NAS is.
> - VCSN: VAAA is in that network. 
> - HCSN: HAAA is here.
> 
> Is there a particular way to read this I-D such that it can 
> support HA assignment by the VAAA? Or, can we introduce 
> specific text towards that?

I would reword a bit the text in section 4.7.5 and add an
example under section 5 to cover situations where the HA
is assigned by the visited AAA.

The rough logic for VAAA assigned HA would be the following:

1) NAS may or may not set the LOCAL_HOME_AGENT_ASSIGNMENT  
   capability.. it does not really matter if VAAA is in charge
   of local HA assignment and the NAS won't do anything regarding
   to local HA assignment anyway

2) VAAA overwrites the capability bits to indicate its preferences
   to HAAA regarding to the local HA assignment

3) HAAA functions as normally

4) In the reply the VAAA adds its local HA to the reply message

5) NAS receives 0-n assigned HAs, out of which some may be 
   assigned by the VAAA. NAS may find the which HA is from VAAA
   and which from HAAA by examing MIP6-Agent-Info AVP and
   associated HA FQDNs

Would this cover your needs? The above is within the current I-D
but could be expressed more clearly.

Cheers,
	Jouni

> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Alper
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> DiME mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
> 

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime

"This email message and any attachments are confidential information of Starent Networks, Corp. The information transmitted may not be used to create or change any contractual obligations of Starent Networks, Corp.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this e-mail and its attachments by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately -- by replying to this message or by sending an email to [email-masked] -- and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments without reading or disclosing their contents. Thank you."

_______________________________________________
DiME mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime