Subject: [Dime] RFC 3588 (Diameter Base Protocol) - Section 2.1.1. SCTP Guidelines

From: Victor Pascual Avila <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:54:23 +0200

Hi,

Apologies in case this is not the appropriate list for the question
below-- I'd appreciate pointers to any other list.

RFC 3588 - Section  2.1.1 (SCTP Guidelines) states the following: "To
prevent blocking: All Diameter nodes SHOULD utilize all SCTP streams
available to the association to prevent head-of-the-line blocking."
While RFC 3539 - Section 3.8.1 (Using SCTP Streams to Prevent Head of
Line Blocking) also addresses multi-streaming, it's not clear to me
whether:

a) Diameter transactions need to be mapped into SCTP streams (ie; send
Diameter messages belonging to the same transaction over the same SCTP
stream and messages belonging to different transactions over different
SCTP streams-- as long as there are enough available streams)
b) Ordered vs unordered delivery: for the above mechanism, I
understand TLS would require ordered delivery. When TLS is not used
(say, IPSec is used instead), do we really need ordered delivery?

Thanks in advance for any clarification,
-- 
Victor Pascual Ávila