Subject: [Dime] Loss algorithm - clarification

From: Maria Cruz Bartolome <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 07:34:57 +0000

Dear all,

In clause 5.1, I do not understand following paragraph.
Could someone clarify?

   4.  The reacting node determines if abatement should be applied to
       the request.  One approach that could be taken would be to select
       a random number between 1 and 100.  If the random number is less
       than the indicated reduction percentage then the request is given
       abatement treatment, otherwise the request is given normal
       routing treatment.

Best regards
/MCruz

---

From: Steve Donovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 08:53:25 -0500

Maria Cruz,

This is one example of a way that a reacting node could determine if a 
request is given abatement treatment or allowed to pass through. The 
calculation of the random number would be done on a per request basis.

Assume, for example, that the requested reduction percentage is 20%.  
For each request controlled by the overload report, a new random number 
is generated.  If the random number is less-than-or-equal-too 20 then 
the request is rejected.  Otherwise the request is routed.

This is not normative but rather is an example to explain the loss 
algorithm.

Steve

On 9/5/14, 2:34 AM, Maria Cruz Bartolome wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> DiME mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
>

---

From: Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 09:55:12 -0400

Suppose the  overload control algorithm has indicated that 20% of the 
Diameter traffic should be throttled.

Each time the client has a request it would like to transmit, it selects a 
random number between 1 and 100. 
If the selected number is 20 or less, it does NOT transmit the request, 
but instead gives it "abatement treatment"
If the selected number is 21 or more, it transmits the request normally.

Janet

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please 
delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in 
delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to 
bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit 
written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of 
e-mail for such purpose.

From:   Maria Cruz Bartolome <[email-masked]>
To:     "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date:   09/05/2014 03:35 AM
Subject:        [Dime]  Loss algorithm - clarification
Sent by:        "DiME" <[email-masked]>

Dear all,

Best regards
/MCruz

---

From: "TROTTIN, JEAN-JACQUES (JEAN-JACQUES)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 16:35:44 +0000

Hi MCruz

The described approach is only an example which is a  simple one. If the requested traffic reduction is 10%, the random number between 1 and 100  will have a probability of 10% to have a value under 10, meaning that statistically  10% of the messages will be suppressed. 

This algorithm is quite simple and e.g. does not take into account the type of requests. 

About to have it this non normative part, why not, but may be to clearly say is a simple example.

Best regards

JJacques  

-----Message d'origine-----
De : DiME [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Maria Cruz Bartolome
Envoyé : vendredi 5 septembre 2014 09:35
À : [email-masked]
Objet : [Dime] Loss algorithm - clarification

Dear all,

Best regards
/MCruz