Subject: [Din] Blockchain protocols

From: "Rene 'Renne' Bartsch, B.Sc. Informatics" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 12:10:30 +0200

Hi,

I'm new to the list, so a "Hello" to all. :-)

Are there any beginnings in the IRTF/IETF regarding blockchain protocols 
to assign public static IPv6 prefixes or generic blockchain protocols 
which can be used for such an application-specific blockchain protocol?

Regards,

Renne

---

From: Jordi Paillissé <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 12:48:38 +0200

Hi Renne,

Welcome!

We have been investigating this issue and published a draft 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-paillisse-sidrops-blockchain/). 
I attach a more up-to-date version.

Unfortunately I don't know of any ready-to-use protocol to do so :(

I guess you could also build a smart contract on Ethereum.

Regards,

Jordi

El 21/10/2017 a les 12:10, Rene 'Renne' Bartsch, B.Sc. Informatics ha 
escrit:
> Are there any beginnings in the IRTF/IETF regarding blockchain 
> protocols to assign public static IPv6 prefixes or generic blockchain 
> protocols which can be used for such an application-specific 
> blockchain protocol?
>
>
> Regards,
>
>
> Renne
>
> _______________________________________________
> Din mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/din

---

From: Jehan Tremback <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 11:36:36 -0700

Namecoin was one of the first coins after Bitcoin. Not sure what
happened to that project, but it was set up for domain name registry.
https://ens.domains does this on Ethereum now. Registering IP ranges
would be a very similar thing (although more complicated because of the
hierarchical nature of the system). 

Reading the linked draft, I would say that it might be good to avoid
putting anything into production until PoS has shaken out and been
proven. There are several projects working on it, including Ethereum,
Tendermint, and several others. 

-- 
  Jehan Tremback
  [email-masked]

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017, at 03:48 AM, Jordi Paillissé wrote:
> Email had 1 attachment:
> + draft-paillisse-sidrops-blockchain-00.pdf
>   43k (application/pdf)

---

From: Jordi Paillissé Vilanova <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 00:18:40 +0200

I agree that it is too soon to use PoS in production, but IMHO it won't 
take much time.  I think proposals like Algorand or Ouroboros look very 
promising. Do you know when Ethereum will launch its PoS?

Jordi