Subject: Re: [dispatch] A WG for HTTP API Building Blocks

From: Roberto Polli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 12:29:34 +0200

Hi Mark et al,

I think that a WG for HTTP API Building Blocks is really necessary to avoid
fragmentation and is a great opportunity to provide a common ground for
providers and
consumers to meet.

Mark wrote:
> [http api wg] output can include:
> • Specifications for new HTTP header and/or trailer fields
> • Specifications for new message body formats, or conventions for use in
them (e.g., patterns of JSON objects)
> • Proposals for new HTTP status codes, methods, or other generic
extensions, to be considered by the HTTP Working Group
> • Best practices and other documentation for HTTP API designers,
consumers, implementers, operators, etc.
+1

Darrel wrote:
> I do believe now is the right time for this effort.  The majority of
large companies have recognized the need for network based
> APIs to be an essential part of their technology platform.  I see this
regularly as part of my work with the OpenAPI Initiative.
> However, frustration with the inconsistent and sometimes poor use of HTTP
is causing companies to look closely at more prescriptive but less
ubiquitous solutions.
+1

When dealing with large ecosystems of API providers - eg like in government
- with hundreds of suppliers
it is very hard to provide guidance even when you have RFC/BCP. In EU we
are even facing the challenge
of providing cross-border APIs for all Member States, and it would be great
to provide a global framework to support the principal choices :)
This can be thus relevant not only for consumers, but for providing
services to citizens.

Which are the next steps toward the creation of the WG?

Have a nice day,
Roberto

PS:

[I just subscribed to dispatch, in case the mail is not properly threaded,
this is the original link
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dispatch/pWx1SgjZS4R3nzXEK-jE6xqOqUc/]