Subject: [Diversity] Informal or Formal Purposes and Values (was Re: IETF Guidelines for Conduct - draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis)

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 00:59:39 +0200

On 9/5/13, S Moonesamy <[email-masked]> wrote:
> An interesting point in the above is that informal is more social.  A
> conversation can also be faster when both parties know each
> other.  In my opinion it would be better if the person using English
> as a second language avoids writing in an informal way so that
> his/her message is not unclear.

I agree with you, but will add that communications can be faster when
both parties like to know new people and when both parties like to
work together in IETF works/aims.

So we have two communication methods of English Language = Formal
Discussions/Communications, and Informal Discussions/Communications. I
hope native speakers/writters understand the difference of both
communication purposes and values.

>
> Was your message written in a formal or informal way?

The problem is that I like to make it formal because I learned English
mostly formal and engineering books are that way, but the IETF
community discussions use informal, therefore, we get forced to be
informal because we want to socialize and become same as the
community, but then the native speaker use English against the
language (i.e. informal communication). They forget that informal is
not correct English also, it depends on the
speaker/writter/transmitter to define the informal way as long as it
can be understood, not the receiver to define such method.

AB