Subject: [Diversity] ISOC fellowship - Attracting new people and work into the IETF

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 16:05:04 -0700

Hello,

One of the initiatives identified during the diversity discussions 
was to attract new people and working into the IETF.  There is an 
ISOC fellowship programme [1].  I would like to have your opinion 
about what can be done through the programme to get more 
participation from emerging and developing economies.

I'll suggest 24 October, 2013 as the deadline.  Please send your 
comments to the diversity mailing list, or if you prefer, privately 
to me.  Private comments will be kept anonymous.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. 
http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes/ietf-and-ois-programmes/internet-society-fellowship

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 00:32:05 +0100

Hiya,

On 09/25/2013 12:05 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> One of the initiatives identified during the diversity discussions was
> to attract new people and working into the IETF.  There is an ISOC
> fellowship programme [1].  I would like to have your opinion about what
> can be done through the programme to get more participation from
> emerging and developing economies.
> 
> comments to the diversity mailing list, or if you prefer, privately to
> me.  Private comments will be kept anonymous.

I'd suggest that the selection criteria be modified to prioritise
people who have been contributing over time to real IETF work; and
add some WG chairs/ADs to the evaluation panel (or whatever's done)
who can help evaluate that; and increase the numbers of fellows who
match the above "active participant" criterion. (I dunno how many
of any kind of fellow are sponsored.)

I think that'd lead to a near-complete re-write of the selection
criteria page. [1] I'd be happy to contribute to that or to
reviewing someone else's draft of that.

Breifly: reduce the background requirements (degrees and whatnot,
and employer stuff) and all the predicting the future stuff (how
this'll make me/the world better) and make it very clear that being
an existing contributor is the main way to get one of these
fellowships. Keep the English language requirement. I'm not sure
if the "emerging or developing economy" thing would be better kept
or if it'd be better to extend that somewhat but strenghen the
requirement that the applicant needs the support to get to a
meeting.

S.

PS: I also like the idea that ISOC sponsor some policy folks and
managers from the same areas/backgrouns/regions, but I think those
should really be a distinct program or type of applicant.

[1] http://www.internetsociety.org/node/9476

> _______________________________________________
> diversity mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diversity
> 
>

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 20:46:16 -0700

Hi Stephen,
>of any kind of fellow are sponsored.)

There is an evaluation panel.  I can argue for having some WG Chairs 
and ADs on the evaluation panel.  The IESG will have to find the 
people who can commit to do that work.

There were 16 fellows sponsored by ISOC at the last IETF meeting; 11 
of them were first-time attendees, one Returning fellow is on a 
directorate [1].  I'll try and get the details.  It does not like 
anyone in the last selection is active in the Security Area.

>reviewing someone else's draft of that.

I'll argue for that and contribute if the suggestion is accepted.

>requirement that the applicant needs the support to get to a

The background requirements could be removed.  There would have to be 
some guidance so that an applicant can assess whether he/she can be 
considered as an existing contributor.  I would argue for the removal 
of all the predicting the future stuff.  I am not sure about the last 
part of the above.  Removing "emerging or developing economy"  would 
require changing the objectives of the programme.  It can be argued 
that there are applicants from other countries, active in the IETF, 
who do need support to get to a meeting.

>should really be a distinct program or type of applicant.

It's a different programme.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. 
http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-society-announces-fellows-attend-upcoming-internet-engineering-task-force-meeting

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:55:37 +0200

I applied last year but not success,

AB

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 12:09:26 -0700

Hi Abdussalam,
>I applied last year but not success,

I asked ISOC for some information about the programme and I was 
provided with the following:

https://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes/ietf-and-ois-programmes

https://www.internetsociety.org/sites/default/files/gen-IETF-OIS-201302-en.pdf

Would you be able to review the material and post your comments to 
the diversity mailing list?

Thanks,
S. Moonesamy