Subject: [Diversity] Phone Calls in the IETF meeting (was Re: [manet] Skype?)

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 18:47:21 -0800

Hi James,

I think it will be interesting to have that possibility of few
important call inputs in to WG sessions, but because of the limited
time each session has IMO input-questions by jabber is enough and it
is better if we avoid that skype-input in most situations. Remote
participants already can write input questions on the list and in to
meetings. If the attended participants are using the session time and
interacting then they have the priority in using the session (usually
we need meetings to be used mostly by attendees not by remote
participants, otherwise closing the session in that situation is
better for IETF to save money).

 I think only calls from related-wg-authors or WG co-chair or AD,
should be allowed to call in IETF sessions, because the participants
attended may need some feedback from authors of accepted drafts or
from some ADs that was not able to attend. IMHO, the time of the
sessions should be focused to assist the attended participants because
they are paying for the meeting session. I was happy that Adrian
accepted my skype call in his routing-area-office time at IETF meeting
(I think it was before a year or two). The idea that remote
participants can skype-call in office times of ADs with in IETF
meetings is IMHO very important for the IETF future.

Regards

AB

IETF Participant from Africa

On 11/13/14, James Nguyen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any Skype that we could call in?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James
>