Subject: Re: Various User Agent Support (was: Re: [dix] DIX use cases)

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:04:58 -0700

On Mar 24, 2006, at 12:57 PM, RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:

>
>> FYI: Yadis and LID were explicitly designed to be usable by  
>> software that doesn't have a GUI, and OpenID can be used that way  
>> as well.
>
> Another thing that might be said here is that there's nothing in  
> the SAML web browser profiles that requires a UI either.  Though  
> the fact that identity-provider discovery is not covered in those  
> profiles (except for the Common Domain Cookie approach which is not  
> broadly applicable) does mean that in some deployments (not all by  
> any means) a UI is used to do discovery.  The YADIS discovery  
> method could well be used to initiate a SAML web browser profile  
> flow too (and I think some people might even be working on how to  
> do this).
>
> But the SAML browser profiles do require browser features that tend  
> not to be found in other HTTP user agents, or to put it in more of  
> standards way, are not required to be in them for compliance with  
> the HTTP-based spec they are implementing.  It is my impression  
> that these specs (eg WebDAV) aren't actually very specific about  
> which HTTP user agent features are mandatory (though I could be  
> wrong about that), which if true may need fixing.

In the next version of WebDAV (just went through WG last call  
recently so maybe it's almost done),  we attempt to be more specific  
about which HTTP features are mandatory, though some of our  
discussions were inconclusive so we didn't add more restrictions in  
every case.

Related to authentication, we required Digest support even in  
RFC2518, so that didn't change.

There wouldn't be much of a chance at all to require HTML or forms  
support -- which isn't even required of browsers.  Heh.

Lisa

_______________________________________________
dix mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dix