Subject: [dix] Permanent IDs and how to obsolete an identity

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:23:28 -0700

Somebody was talking to me about how IDs similar to  
"[email-masked]" are useless because you can't trust the  
ID when the service provider is gone.

Isn't it the general expectation that these IDs are impermanent?   
Just like when my email address at work becomes obsolete when I leave  
the job -- I just stop using that ID.  In fact it may be easier to  
obsolete an ID than an email address.  OTOH it might not be, there  
might be permissions and preferences scattered about the Web,  
associated with an ID that suddenly becomes useless.

The statement that "permanent IDs are not required" might be useful  
in the charter.  There may also be interesting use cases about how to  
obsolete an ID.

Lisa

_______________________________________________
dix mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dix