Subject: [dix] draft-merrells-use-cases-02

From: John Merrells <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 21:20:28 -0700

Here's an update to the use cases draft that incorporates the  
comments on the list over the past week.

John

_______________________________________________
dix mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dix

---

From: Robert Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:12:13 -0400

> comments on the list over the past week.
John,

these are great, I have a question on scope of the use cases though.  I 
notice that in the non browser use cases there are some non http use 
cases e.g. SIMPLE, IMAP.  I was under the impression, probably from 
dmd0, that we were just looking at having a binding of DIX into http 
initially, so......

Is it the intention of the use cases to cover all protocols or just 
http?  If it is all protocols then I think the non-browser use cases 
need considerable expansion.

Rob

---

From: John Merrells <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:59:22 -0700

On 18-Apr-06, at 5:12 AM, Robert Yates wrote:

> I notice that in the non browser use cases there are some non http  
> use cases e.g. SIMPLE, IMAP.  I was under the impression, probably  
> from dmd0, that we were just looking at having a binding of DIX  
> into http initially, so...... Is it the intention of the use cases  
> to cover all protocols or just http?  If it is all protocols then I  
> think the non-browser use cases need considerable expansion.

The charter as currently drafted roughly says 'http binding now,  
other bindings later, if people want them.'  So, I collated the use  
cases from the list with that remit. I think that the browser use  
cases are complete enough that other documents could be written  
against them. But the non-browser cases clearly aren't detailed  
enough for that. dmd0/dmd1 attempts to address just the browser  
cases. dmuc2 can be developed further if people want to do that and  
should be taken further if people want to write further documents  
against them.

What do you folks on the list want to do with dmuc2?

Does it document the goals and motivations of the group?

Does it do so well enough to move forward with finding solutions that  
solve those problems?

John