Subject: [dix] fyi: SAMLv2 Lightweight Web Browser SSO Profile

From: Jeff Hodges <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:17:40 -0700

Continuing in the vein of exploring how to make things easier 
implementation-wise for web sso relying parties, aka "service providers" -- 
which is a significant aspect of what's been discussed on this list -- we've 
crafted a "SAMLv2 Lightweight Web Browser SSO Profile":

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hodges-saml-lsso-00.txt

This profile builds upon the "HTTP-POST-NoXMLdsig" SAML binding referenced in a 
prior message [1].

We understand that the overall problem space being discussed on this list goes 
beyond "simple web SSO", but there are several reasons we feel it worthwhile to 
craft a simple, lightweight, SAML web sso profile and contribute it to the 
discussion:

  * it is a large multi-faceted problem space and we find it valuable
    to break things down into smaller pieces

  * we want to explore which "knobs and buttons" in the existing SAML Web
    SSO Profile we can "turn down" in order to simplify service provider
    implementation and deployment effort [2]

  * we want to explore whether we can craft things such that the solutions
    for the other portions of the problem space can leverage a SAML
    profile such as this

  * there are a non-trivial number of SAML-based deployments [3]
    and products [4], so crafting a lightweight SSO mechanism that
    more closely resembles an existing SAML profile has the benefit
    of facilitating migration/interoperation for implementors and
    deployers

JeffH

[1] fyi: SAMLv2: HTTP POST “NoXMLdsig” Binding
     http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dix/current/msg00720.html

[2] e.g. by constraining the set of SAML bindings the web sso profile relies
     upon, eg the artifact binding -- which requires "callbacks" on the part
     of the sP to the IDP/identity agent -- implementation, and especially
     deployment is significantly simplified.

[3] e.g.: http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/seas.html
           http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/community.html
           http://www.openidp.org/
           http://www.athensams.net/local_auth/saml/
           http://xml.coverpages.org/OblixSouthwestAirlines.html

[4] e.g.: http://www.opensaml.org/
           http://www.sourceid.org/projects/saml-1.1-toolkit.html
           http://sourceforge.net/projects/guanxi/
     http://www.projectliberty.org/activities/conformant_products.php#SAML2

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hodges-saml-lsso-00.txt
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:50:02 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: SAMLv2 Lightweight Web Browser SSO Profile
	Author(s)	: J. Hodges, S. Cantor
	Filename	: draft-hodges-saml-lsso-00.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 2006-6-22
	
    This document specifies a SAMLv2 lightweight Web Browser Single
    Sign-On Profile.  This profile is modeled on the OASIS SAMLv2 Web
    Browser SSO profile, adding various constraints, and using a new
    lightweight SAMLv2 HTTP POST binding which does not rely on XML
    Digital Signature -- relying on a more simple-to-implement signature
    approach instead.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hodges-saml-lsso-00.txt

<snip/>

---
end

_______________________________________________
dix mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dix