Subject: RE: [dix] Re: [Ietf-http-auth] BOF Request: WARP - Web AuthenticationResistant to Phishing

From: "Recordon, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 02:58:55 -0700

When Brad designed OpenID last year, his goal was only to "move an
'identifier claim'".  I certainly wouldn't say that this is a flaw
within his design, rather a conscious decision to keep the protocol
simple and implementable.

With the framework Yadis and OpenID provides, it is possible to build
other services on top, including profile exchange.  OpenID Simple
Registration
(http://www.openidenabled.com/openid/simple-registration-extension/) is
already an example of how nine pieces of profile data can be requested
by a relying party and provided with the identity assertion from the
IdP.

In any case, you'll be able to move rich attribute value assertions on
top of OpenID within the next month, with the end goal being a framework
flexible enough to pass around XML-vCards, Sxip 2.0 key/value pairs, the
Dix SAML profile, other opaque messages, and whatever else becomes
popular in the future.

--David

-----Original Message-----
From: John Merrells [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 8:41 PM
To: Digital Identity Exchange
Subject: Re: [dix] Re: [Ietf-http-auth] BOF Request: WARP - Web
AuthenticationResistant to Phishing

On 4-Jun-06, at 4:59 PM, Johannes Ernst wrote:

> Let's not mistake orthogonality for limitation when looking at 
> designs.

Yes, and let's not confuse flaws with features.

If OpenID could move attribute value assertions we'd all be better off.

John

_______________________________________________
dix mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dix

---

From: John Merrells <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:48:07 -0700

On 5-Jun-06, at 2:58 AM, Recordon, David wrote:

> Sxip 2.0 key/value pairs, the
> Dix SAML profile

Note that the core of SXIP 2.0 is the DIX protocol. DIX moves  
properties around, which are key/value pairs... so you can move any  
identity information you want. DIX doesn't define any property keys,  
and suggests one encoding for a third party attribute value  
assertions (a SAML assertion).

John