Subject: [dix] Dix & OpenId?

From: "David Fuelling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 10:14:44 -0400

Hey Everyone!

I'm wondering if people could enlighten me about OpenId and how it will
relate to the Dix protocol, and Identity 2.0 in general, in the near future.

The OpenId 2.0 draft spec has many similar components to the DIX draft 1
(pre-saml) spec.  In addition, it looks like Sxip Identity is a founding
sponsor of the OpenId bounty program, which seems a bit counter-intuitive to
me (although I can see the motivation of wanting to publicize Identity 2.0
in general).  Regardless, Sxip Identity has based Sxip 2.0 on dix, and has
been a major backer of dix.  

So, I'm wondering how people (especially the Sxip people on this list) see
Dix moving forward.  Are there plans to join OpenId 2.0 and the DIX
protocol?  What kinds of discussions are taking place between the Dix and
OpenId 2.0 folks?

The reason I ask is that I'm planning to incorporate Dix into my Open Source
project.  However, with the OpenId bounty program, it seems like I may want
to consider OpenId instead, especially if Sxip is going to back OpenId.
Where will we be in 5 months?  Should I stick with Dix??

Thanks for your thoughts, speculations, and ideas!

David  

_______________________________________________
dix mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dix

---

From: Dick Hardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 07:51:59 -0700

On 9-Aug-06, at 7:14 AM, David Fuelling wrote:
> The OpenId 2.0 draft spec has many similar components to the DIX  
> draft 1 (pre-saml) spec.  In addition, it looks like Sxip Identity  
> is a founding sponsor of the OpenId bounty program, which seems a  
> bit counter-intuitive to me (although I can see the motivation of  
> wanting to publicize Identity 2.0 in general).  Regardless, Sxip  
> Identity has based Sxip 2.0 on dix, and has been a major backer of  
> dix.
Hi David

The timing of your question is impeccable!

The Sxip people are working with incorporating much of DIX into  
OpenID 2.0. There have been a number of backroom conversations going  
on  (mostly with the folks at JanRain and David Recordon of VeriSign)  
and there is a meeting at VeriSign's Mountain View offices tomorrow  
if anyone on this list is interested in attending.

Converging the protocols seems to make the most sense (features from  
each were being incorporated in the other anyway)

-- Dick