Subject: [dmarc-ietf] Alignment loose ends (mailing lists and forwarders)

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:37:35 +0200

I get reports from unknown entities at my rua= address.  For example,
I receive reports from linkedin.com but I sent no messages to that
domain.  Looking at the auth_results, I find drkurt.com.  I know Kurt
is on this list, but I never sent mail to his domain either.  I need
to investigate the source_ip on that row, and that belongs to Google.
 The report from Google solves the riddle, although it's buggy[1]:  I
sent those messages to this list.

Two points:

* What if Kurt didn't want to disclose his connection with LinkedIn?
  Should Google drop sensible rows from their reports?

* What if some kind of intervention was required?  Should I forward
  the records concerning trusted identities to where they belong to?

[1] They report spf=softfail smtp.mailfrom=drkurt.com; instead of
spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=ietf.org; they also miss to report the dkim
result --this list is being signed, since last week.  Presumably, they
change envelope sender and strip signatures before forwarding, and run
DMARC checks afterwards(?)

---

From: Kurt Andersen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:59:33 -0700

Interesting use case :-)  If it helps to decipher the pieces, I am
subscribed to the IETF list using an alias on my personal domain
(drkurt.comwhich has first stage MX hosted by Google) which directs
both to a (local)
GMail-hosted mailbox as well as forwarding to my work email address (@
linkedin.com - since we all have been debating the usage of DMARC by
LinkedIn :-)).

I guess that one could consider it to be a personal mailing list (oh the
horror, the horror).

(p.s. my first attempt to send this message hung up on the mailman "you're
not a member of the list" because I failed to set the right "from" address)

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> dmarc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmarc
>