Subject: [dmarc-ietf] Suggestion: handle null reverse path SPF alignment with RFC5322.From in different domain

From: Raman Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 18:42:57 -0400

I encountered a use case recently with an auto-generated email with
RFC5322.From domain foo.com, sent from a host in domain bar.com.
Because the email was auto-generated by sieve, it contained a null
return path. The host in bar.com is a valid SPF sender for domain foo.com.

DMARC failed the SPF check despite the valid SPF, since the
RFC5322.From address was not aligned with the domain bar.com extracted
from the HELO/EHLO.

A valid way to circumvent this problem is to use DKIM signing, aligned
with foo.com, in which case DMARC is designed to ignore the SPF
failure and pass overall.

However, I do think this is a valid situation which the SPF alignment
rules should consider.

I hope I have explained this sufficiently. Thank you to Steven Jones
and Scott Kitterman and others on the dmarc-discuss list for
clarifying the situation presented here.

Regards,
Raman Gupta
Principal
VIVO Systems