Subject: [dmarc-ietf] Valimail and DMARC

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 11:08:09 -0400

The valimail.com domain appears to have recently (it looks like it
started 1 June) set a restrictive DMARC policy, and that's caused a
boatload of disabled subscriptions.  Basically, whenever Seth (or any
other valimail.com user, but recently that's been Seth) sends a
message to the list now, anyone whose domain honours that policy has
their copy of the message bounced back and not delivered.  After a few
of those, mailman disables their subscriptions.

Seth, please (1) do not post messages to the list from your
valimail.com address until this is resolved, and (2) do what you can
to get this resolved.

Thanks,
Barry, chairing

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 11:09:47 -0400

Oh, and I've reset the disabled bits for everyone who was disabled due
to bounces.  But that doesn't scale, and I don't have the time to keep
doing that.

Barry

---

From: "Ken O'Driscoll" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2017 11:32:18 +0100

MailMan has supported DMARC domains for ages through a simple address re-
writing mechanism. It works quite well. The version running this list
(2.1.22) definitely supports it, it just needs to be enabled.  

Unless there is a good reason which prevents it, turning it on is probably
a better long-term solution. ARC isn't going to be universally deployed
overnight and some personal domains (mine included) are no doubt DMARC
protect too.

Not to mention, the irony of the official DMARC mailing list discouraging
postings from DMARC protected domains due to compatibility issues!

Just my two cents, apologies if this was previously discussed by the list.

Ken.

-- 
Ken O'Driscoll / We Monitor Email 
t: +353 1 254 9400 | w: www.wemonitoremail.com

On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 11:08 -0400, Barry Leiba wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> dmarc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmarc

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 3 Jun 2017 11:14:31 -0000

>(2.1.22) definitely supports it, it just needs to be enabled.  

The IETF has a long-running discussion about how to deal with DMARC
and is looking at some options.  Putting the list's address on the
From: line is not one of the options.

It would be utterly unproductive to reargue this topic here, so please
don't.

R's,
John

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 07:41:02 -0700

> postings from DMARC protected domains due to compatibility issues!

Not long ago there was some advice circulated that DMARC is really only for
protecting domains that don't contain users, or at least no users that
participate in lists.  Section 10.5 of RFC7489 hints at this.  I think it's
fair to say that its activation by operators of domains that do have people
participating in lists was somewhat destructive.

I would also say a good chunk of the IETF looks at the existence of this
working group as the necessary result of the damage DMARC caused in the
first place.  If you look at it that way, there's no irony here at all.

-MSK