Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Valimail and DMARC

From: Seth Blank <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 15:03:04 -0700

Replying from my personal account as requested:

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 8:08 AM, Barry Leiba <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The valimail.com domain appears to have recently (it looks like it
> started 1 June) set a restrictive DMARC policy, and that's caused a
>

valimail.com has been at reject for over a year, and was at quarantine for
over a year before that. Was anything changed recently with the list?

> boatload of disabled subscriptions.  Basically, whenever Seth (or any
> other valimail.com user, but recently that's been Seth) sends a
> message to the list now, anyone whose domain honours that policy has
> their copy of the message bounced back and not delivered.  After a few
> of those, mailman disables their subscriptions.

> Seth, please (1) do not post messages to the list from your
> valimail.com address until this is resolved, and (2) do what you can
> to get this resolved.
>

(1) Done.

(2) valimail.com is at reject and will be staying there, but valimail staff
will start using the list from personal addresses (please forgive us
briefly for any lapses as we switch over).

On a deeper level with respect to (2), this is why the work of this WG in
general and of ARC in particular is so critical. The data clearly shows a
quickening pace of DMARC adoption, and the expectation should be that there
will be more members on this list from domains at p=reject as time
progresses. This problem is going to get worse for this list, all IETF
lists, and all mailing lists in general. While we can patch it in the
interim by sending from personal addresses, ARC is the actual solution
here, and I'm looking forward to being able to send from valimail.com to
this list again in the near future.

Seth

> Thanks,
> Barry, chairing

---

From: Brandon Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 17:08:42 -0700

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Seth Blank <[email-masked]> wrote:

> valimail.com has been at reject for over a year, and was at quarantine
> for over a year before that. Was anything changed recently with the list?
>

Were the rejects from a specific host... like gmail?  We've been making
some changes in preparation for supporting arc, and the spam team is always
making
changes to combat specific campaigns, so it would be good to know if we've
made life worse for mailing lists.

(and google.com has also been reject for a while, so good to know if my
posts are also causing issues)

Brandon

> (2) valimail.com is at reject and will be staying there, but valimail
> staff will start using the list from personal addresses (please forgive us
> _______________________________________________
> dmarc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmarc
>
>