Subject: [dmarc-ietf] ARC-16 and EAI messages

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 2018 15:47:20 -0400

I was updating my EAI-izing draft for DKIM and DMARC and realized that it 
would be nice not to have to update ARC, too.

The gist of it is the same as what I said for DKIM: anywhere there's a 
domain name there can be an IDN written with U-labels (Unicode), and 
anywhere there's user text, the text can be UTF-8.

The easiest thing for me would be for us to give 
draft-levine-appsarea-eaiauth a nudge so where it says ARC imports ABNF 
from RFC6376, it instead says it imports from RFC6376 as updated by 
draft-levine-appsarea-eaiauth.

The concrete changes are that in the AS header, the d= s= tags can be 
IDNs, and in the AMS header, the d= s= tags can be IDNs, i= can have 
unicode local-part and IDN domain, and throughout dkim-safe-char is 
updated so that non-ASCII characters don't have to be quoted.  I assume 
7601bis will be done so AAR can inherit from there.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

---

From: Seth Blank <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 13:01:13 -0700

I agree ARC should be EAI-ized.

To be clear, are you saying that once 7601bis and draft-levine-appsarea-eaiauth
are approved by the IESG and properly update 7601 and 6376, then no direct
changes are needed to the ARC spec?

So the only wording consideration under WGLC is the ABNF import with
respect to DKIM and draft-levine-appsarea-eaiauth?

Seth

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 12:47 PM, John R Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:

> unicode local-part and IDN domain, and throughout dkim-safe-char is updated
> so that non-ASCII characters don't have to be quoted.  I assume 7601bis
> will be done so AAR can inherit from there.
>
> Regards,
> _______________________________________________
> dmarc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmarc
>

-- 

Seth Blank | Director of Industry Initiatives

E: [email-masked] | P: 415.273.8818

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 2018 16:48:24 -0400

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>-=-=-=-=-=-

Yes, although it's probably worth reminding people where things are
different in EAI messages.

R's,
John

---

From: Seth Blank <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 13:52:28 -0700

> different in EAI messages.

The appropriate place for this guidance is likely a second paragraph in 4.1
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dmarc-arc-protocol-16#section-4.1),
as this guidance will apply to the three following header fields.

Would you mind suggesting a paragraph to add in this context?

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 2018 17:27:56 -0400

>Would you mind suggesting a paragraph to add in this context?

4.1.4 Internationalized mail

In internationalized messages (RFC 6532) many header fields can contain UTF-8
as well as ASCII text.  The changes for EAI are all inherited from DKIM as
updated by [draft-levine-eaiauth] and Authentication-Restukts as updated
in [rfc7601bis], but are called out here for emphasis.

in an AS header, the d= s= tags can be contain U-labels.  In an AMS
header, the d= s= tags can contain U-labels, i= can have UTF-8 in the
local-part and U-labels in the domain, and in all tags, non-ASCII
characters need not be quoted in dkim-quoted-printable.  

The AAR header allows UTF-8 in the same places that A-R does, as
described in [7601bis].

---

From: Seth Blank <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:38:33 -0700

I've added the following text as Section 4.1.4 (note fixed typos and
removal of the i= section, which is removed from ARC explicitly):

4.1.4:  Internationalized mail considerations

In internationalized messages [RFC 6532] many header fields can contain
UTF-8 as well as ASCII text.  The changes for Email Address
Internationalization (EAI) are all inherited from DKIM as updated by
[draft-levine-eaiauth] and Authentication-Results as updated in
[rfc7601bis], but are called out here for emphasis.

In the AMS and AS header fields, the d= and s= tags can contain U-labels,
and in all tags, non-ASCII
characters need not be quoted in dkim-quoted-printable.

The AAR header allows UTF-8 in the same places that A-R does, as described
in [7601bis].

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 2018 18:13:39 -0400

It doesn't say that in 4.1.2, even though it's sort of implicit since
i= means something else.  I'd say so explicitly in a fifth bullet
after where it says "three (3) differences."

R's,
John

---

From: Seth Blank <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 15:19:14 -0700

> after where it says "three (3) differences."

One of those differences says:

* the presence of the “instance tag”. Additional information on the
“instance tag” can be found in Section 4.2.1. The instance tag replaces the
DKIM “AUID” tag;

This language could probably be cleaned up to say "the 'i' (AUID) tag is
not imported from DKIM. Instead, it is replaced by the "instance tag" as
defined in Section 4.2.1"

Then section 4.1.3 should use the identical language as well.

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jul 2018 20:26:17 -0400

>Then section 4.1.3 should use the identical language as well.

Please do.  Experience tells us that the more clearly you lay something out, the
less likely we are to screw it up.  I don't remember what AUID is without looking
it up but i= is obvious.

R's,
John

PS: There's still four bullets after the three (3) differences.

---

From: Seth Blank <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 17:29:20 -0700

> less likely we are to screw it up.  I don't remember what AUID is without

Done.

> PS: There's still four bullets after the three (3) differences.

Yeah, I noticed and fixed that, too.

S
--