Subject: [dmarc-ietf] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dmarc-arc-protocol-18.txt> (Authenticated Received Chain (ARC) Protocol) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 08:07:47 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Domain-based Message Authentication,
Reporting & Conformance WG (dmarc) to consider the following document: -
'Authenticated Received Chain (ARC) Protocol'
  <draft-ietf-dmarc-arc-protocol-18.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-11-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Authenticated Received Chain (ARC) protocol provides an
   authenticated "chain of custody" for a message, allowing each entity
   that handles the message to see what entities handled it before, and
   to see what the message's authentication assessment was at each step
   in the handling.

   ARC allows Internet Mail Handlers to attach assertions of message
   authentication assessment to individual messages.  As messages
   traverse ARC-enabled Internet Mail Handlers, additional ARC
   assertions can be attached to messages to form ordered sets of ARC
   assertions that represent the authentication assessment at each step
   of message handling paths.

   ARC-enabled Internet Mail Handlers can process sets of ARC assertions
   to inform message disposition decisions, to identify Internet Mail
   Handlers that might break existing authentication mechanisms, and to
   convey original authentication assessments across trust boundaries.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmarc-arc-protocol/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmarc-arc-protocol/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.