Subject: [dmarc-ietf] New version of draft-ietf-dmarc-arc-usage posted

From: Steven M Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 23:09:21 -0700

Greetings,

I've submitted the changes to the "ARC Usage" I-D that I had on-hand, 
primarily because the previous version was going to expire on October 
25th, and the I-D freeze for IETF103 was going to occur this evening. 
That deadline was extended by 24 hours, but I opted not to push it 
(further)...

Consider this a reminder that your questions and suggestions are welcome.

New version: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dmarc-arc-usage-06
Diff from -05 to -06: 
https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dmarc-arc-usage-06.txt

Yes, I know I missed updating a couple things. Yes, some formatting is 
off because I uploaded the XML instead of the TXT version. We'll fix 'em 
in the next rev.

Thanks,
--Steve.

---

From: Jeremy Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 20:36:12 +0100

> New version: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dmarc-arc-usage-06

How about another subsection 5.x saying when Originating ADMDs should
take any ARC action?  For starting a new ARC chain I assume the answer
is normally "don't" - but perhaps there is an exception when a message
is already DKIM-signed, or when SPF for it would be invalidated by
forwarding (despite it being in-theory a local ADMD source)?
-- 
Cheers,
  Jeremy

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Oct 2018 21:54:32 -0000

In article <[email-masked]>,
>forwarding (despite it being in-theory a local ADMD source)?

Seems to me that's pretty simple: you should add an ARC seal when you
do something that might break DMARC validation, which means modifying
the contents of the message (breaks DKIM) or remailing a message
(breaks SPF.)

It is my impression that if your message already has a local A-R
header, it's a good candidate for adding an ARC seal.  If not, it
probably isn't even though you could in principle add your own A-R
which only has arc=none.

R's,
John
-- 
Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly