Subject: [dmarc-ietf] Ben Campbell's No Objection on charter-ietf-dmarc-01-00: (with COMMENT)

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 17:57:47 -0800

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-dmarc-01-00: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-dmarc/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I support Alissa's 2nd block point.

I _think_ this section 4 is about MTA-MTA authentication, right? For example,
s/mime or other e2e signature enhancements would not be in scope, would they?
How about new user-to-MUA authentication methods?

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 16:35:08 -0500

> How about new user-to-MUA authentication methods?

It's unfortunate that we've settle on the term "email authentication"
to refer to what is actually much narrower than that, but, alas,
that's the terminology that's used.  What we mean by the term is more
like "validation of the email sending domain", which isn't what we
would call "authentication" in other security contexts.

So, no, anything dealing with s/mime or email content signatures are
not in the scope we're talking about here.

Barry