Subject: [dmarc-ietf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmarc-psd-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 15:05:28 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance) Extension For PSDs (Public Suffix Domains)
        Author          : Scott Kitterman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dmarc-psd-02.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2019-04-09

Abstract:
   DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and
   Conformance) is a scalable mechanism by which a mail-originating
   organization can express domain-level policies and preferences for
   message validation, disposition, and reporting, that a mail-receiving
   organization can use to improve mail handling.  DMARC policies can be
   applied at the individual domain level or for a set of domains at the
   organizational level.  The design of DMARC precludes grouping
   policies for a set of domains above the organizational level, such as
   TLDs (Top Level Domains).  These types of domains (which are not all
   at the top level of the DNS tree) can be collectively referred to as
   Public Suffix Domains (PSDs).  For the subset of PSDs that require
   DMARC usage, this memo describes an extension to DMARC to enable
   DMARC functionality for such domains.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmarc-psd/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dmarc-psd-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dmarc-psd-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dmarc-psd-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 18:09:30 -0400

On Tuesday, April 09, 2019 03:05:28 PM [email-masked] wrote:
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Domain-based Message
> Authentication, Reporting & Conformance WG of the IETF.
> 
>         Title           : DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication,
> Reporting, and Conformance) Extension For PSDs (Public Suffix Domains)
> Author          : Scott Kitterman

I've attempted to do a few things with this draft update:

1.  Moved to experimental as that seemed to be the direction it's going (easy 
enough to put back if I got ahead of myself.

2.  Added an appendix to describe with the experiment is.

3.  Added an appendix to describe the registry approach to mitigating the data 
leakage privacy issue.

4.  Enhanced the description of the privacy issue.

5.  Taken an initial whack at Acknowledgements.  Please contact me off list if 
you feel like I left you out and shouldn't have.  I'm sure it's not perfect.

Scott K

---

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 09:21:23 -0400

> I've attempted to do a few things with this draft update:
...
> 3.  Added an appendix to describe the registry approach to mitigating the
> data leakage privacy issue.
...

I've gone ahead and implemented addition of both PSD DMARC at checking the 
registry described in Appendix B to see if it's an appropriate PSD.  It's less 
than 20 lines of code in Python for both.  This confirms (for me anyway), my 
thought that this is not a complex DMARC extension to implement.

Scott K