Subject: [dmarc-ietf] Mail regarding draft-ietf-dmarc-eaiauth

From: Spenser Truex <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 20:28:55 -0700

> 4.  SPF and Internationalized Mail
> [...]
> SPF macros %{s} and %{l} expand the local part of the sender's
> mailbox.  If the local part contains non-ASCII characters, terms that
> include %{s} or %{l} do not match anything, because non-ASCII local
> parts cannot be used as the DNS labels the macros are intended to
> match.  Since these macros are rarely used, this is unlikely to be an
> issue in practice.

Wouldn't it be better to suggest the possibility of doing the right
thing in that situation? Perhaps:

If the local part contains non-ASCII characters, terms that include %{s}
or %{l} MAY not match anything but SHOULD match, because non-ASCII local
parts cannot be used as the DNS labels the macros are intended to match.

A standard for internationalized mail perhaps should have support for
internationalized local postmaster addresses, even if weak.

--
Spenser Truex
https://spensertruex.com/
San Francisco, USA