Subject: [dmarc-ietf] Should 'undeliverable mail' be included in DMARC rua reports?

From: "Freddie Leeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 17:11:29 +0200

I've noticed that, even though RFC7489 appendix C states that the
'envelope_from' element has a minOccurs of '1', this element is missing
quite frequently. This is probably due to the fact that some messages have a
'null reverse-path'. The RFC5321 (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) chapter
4.5.5 allows a 'null reverse-path' ("<>") to be used for non-delivery
notifications, delivery status notifications and message disposition
notifications.

So what to do? Should messages with a null reverse-path be excluded in DMARC
rua reports or should the minOccurs value of the 'envelope_from' element be
changed from '1' to '0'?

-- Freddie Leeman

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Aug 2019 16:24:22 -0400

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>quite frequently. 

It's not missing, it's empty.  That's not the same thing.

R's,
John