Subject: [DMM] IESG review of draft-ietf-dmm-requirements

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 09:54:34 -0400

All,
     The IESG discussed the requirements draft on its call yesterday.
There are a few items that need to be addressed in the document and a
larger, more educational, step that needs to be done prior to
publication.  There are two concrete changes needed in the document at
this time.  Barry Leiba raised the issue about the references to 3753,
5213, and 6275 should be normative.  Alia Atlas has asked that there be
some description of the applicability or deployment considerations
driving these requirements.  I think a good way to address this would be
to describe a common deployment model in use today and point out where
the requirements would lead to changes.  It may be useful to have
someone engage Alia on this topic.

      Another point raised, by Benoit Claise, is the OAM issue with
these requirements.  Benoit would either like to see OAM issues
discussed in the requirements document or in the new charter.  I think
that is a valid concern that the WG needs to discuss, specifically where
that need should be documented. As with the above, someone from DMM
should chat with Benoit if there are questions on what he would like to see.

     There are also a few good Comments raised by other ADs that should
be addressed.  Those can be seen on the document's ballot page:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmm-requirements/ballot/

     The last issue raised, by Ted Lemon, is the architectural impact of
the mobility work.  He ties it to this document since he is fearful that
these requirements will lead to a solution that impacts the overall
Internet architecture.  To that end, I suggested that he invite several
DMM participants (I suggested the chairs) to participate in an upcoming
informal IESG call to discuss.  I suspect that Ted will hold this
document until that conversation occurs.

     Let me know if anyone has any questions on these points.

Regards,
Brian (your slightly frazzled AD)