Subject: [DMM] Document Action: 'Requirements for Distributed Mobility Management' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-dmm-requirements-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 08:51:57 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Requirements for Distributed Mobility Management'
  (draft-ietf-dmm-requirements-17.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Distributed Mobility Management
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Ted Lemon.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmm-requirements/

Technical Summary:

This document defines the requirements for Distributed Mobility Management
(DMM).  The hierarchical structure in traditional wireless networks
has led primarily to centralized deployment models.  As some wireless
networks are evolving away from the hierarchical structure, a distributed
model for mobility management can be useful to them.

Working Group Summary:

There was disagreement from one participant on whether some of the
requirements were stated clearly enough to make a convincing case for a
new distributed mobility management model.  However, there was general
consensus in the WG that the text adequately describes the shortcomings
of current mobility management algorithms in terms of resource consumption
when used in multicast, CDN, and peer-to-peer style applications.

Document Quality:

This is a requirements document so there is currently no implementation.

Personnel:

Peter McCann is the document shepherd.  Brian Haberman is the
responsible AD.