Subject: [DMM] regarding the re-chartering..

From: Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 00:49:41 +0300

Folks,

The latest charter draft can be found here:
https://github.com/jounikor/dmm-re-charter/blob/master/recharter_draft.txt

The deadline for the text chnges are 31st July. I'll setup a call for 
next week so that those who want to dial in and have verbal commenting 
can do that. In a meanwhile, email works as usual for updates and 
comments on the text. The actual milestone dates are to be done last but 
suggestions are more than welcome.

- Jouni & Dapeng

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 17:01:57 -0500

Hi Jouni,

Regarding

Distributed mobility management deployment models and scenarios:

As I said in the session today I am having trouble understanding the
deployment models.

To me it sounds like doing the last thing first, i.e. after we get the
dmm solution we work on how to deploy it (of course if the deployment
has not already been considered by the solution).

Is there an existing draft which comes close to this item so that I
can read and try to understand?

On

the expected high level network architectures

Is this about the architectures of the existing networks like 3GPP,
home networks, enterprise networks, etc.?

I hope you can shed some light into this.

Regards,

Behcet

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The deadline for the text chnges are 31st July. I'll setup a call for next
> week so that those who want to dial in and have verbal commenting can do
> that. In a meanwhile, email works as usual for updates and comments on the
> text. The actual milestone dates are to be done last but suggestions are
> more than welcome.
>
> - Jouni & Dapeng
>
> _______________________________________________
> dmm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmm

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 18:17:44 -0400

> has not already been considered by the solution).

I may be interpreting the charter incorrectly, but I think there may be
a disconnect.  I interpreted the the charter text as describing
deployment models like:

- Wi-Fi-based mobility management

- Cellular (e.g., 3GPP) mobility management

- Mixed technology mobility management

- etc.

If that above interpretation is what was intended, I think it makes
sense to have that type of description available to guide solution
development.

If the above is not correct, then I suspect the charter needs some
clarification.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:59:00 +0300

> sense to have that type of description available to guide solution

The above interpretation is correct.

- Jouni

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 17:15:27 +0300

> The above interpretation is correct.

Can we expand that a bit more? 
Are we talking about:
- Describing how WiFi and 3GPP-based architectures work today?
- Describing how they'd work when flattened (e.g., moving the GW to the radio edge)?
- Something else?

Alper

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:56:37 -0500

> If the above is not correct, then I suspect the charter needs some

If that is the case then I suggest calling it DMM usage scenarios or
use cases in real networks?

Use case work is done before solution work, so that I think is a good
match with DMM.

Regards,

Behcet

---

From: Weixinpeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 03:17:44 +0000

Hi Jouni and all,
Here are some of my comments about the charter draft.

In the third paragraph, it says that "...Routing based proposals must not propagate routing updates outside the IGP routing domain...", I am wondering
why this is emphasized routing updates must not propagate outside the IGP routing domain? Is there any specific consideration on this?

Thanks.

BR,
Xinpeng

>-----Original Message-----
>From: dmm [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jouni Korhonen
>Sent: Friday, July 25, 2014 5:50 AM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [DMM] regarding the re-chartering..
>
>Folks,
>
>The deadline for the text chnges are 31st July. I'll setup a call for next week so
>that those who want to dial in and have verbal commenting can do that. In a
>meanwhile, email works as usual for updates and comments on the text. The
>actual milestone dates are to be done last but suggestions are more than
>welcome.
>
>- Jouni & Dapeng
>

---

From: Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:11:37 +0300

Hi,

Thanks.

> why this is emphasized routing updates must not propagate outside the IGP routing domain? Is there any specific consideration on this?

It is basically to protect the global internet wide routing system 
stability. Assume that a DMM solution adds/removes small aggregates and 
host routes in a ferquent pace (as it is expected with millions of 
mobile nodes) that could contribute in an unwanted way to global routing 
infrastructure churn and route oscillation.

- Jouni

---

From: Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 16:22:26 +0300

The webex sessions have been cancelled in accordance of better IETF 
process compliancy. New dates will be announced rougghly two weeks ahead 
of tomorrow.

You can (and should) still actively send edits to the list and I'll 
update the text accordingly. Maybe we manage to get ready even without a 
call!

- Jouni & Dapeng

---

From: Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:20:48 +0300

Folks,

A major rewrite of the charter is in github (and below). Thanks to 
Kostas providing excellent feedbask on the text. Comments are welcome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Description of Working Group:

Mobility management solutions lie at the center of the wireless Internet
and enable mobile devices to partake in IP networks anytime and
anywhere. The IETF Distributed Mobility Management (DMM) working group
(WG) specifies solutions for IP networks so that traffic can be
expedited between mobile and correspondent nodes. DMM solutions aim for
transparency above the IP layer, including maintenance of active
transport level sessions when mobile hosts or mobile networks change
their point of attachment to the Internet.

Wireless network deployments have traditionally relied on hierarchical
schemes that often lead to centralized deployment models, where a small
number of mobility anchors manage both mobility and reachability for a
mobile node. The DMM WG will consider the latest developments in mobile
networking research and operational practice (i.e. flat network
architectures, the impact of virtualization, new deployment needs as
wireless access technologies evolve in the coming years) and will
describe how distributed mobility management addresses the new needs in
this area better than previously standardized solutions.

A topic of particular focus will be mobility anchoring in this new
context, and the DMM working group is chartered to work on
maintenance-oriented extensions of the Mobile IPv6 protocol family (RFC
5213, RFC 5844, RFC 5555, RFC 5568, and RFC 6275) as well as new
approaches which capitalize on other protocols specified by the IETF.
When extending protocols that are not based on Mobile IP, DMM solutions
will be have to be reviewed by the corresponding WGs.

IPv6 is assumed to be present in both the mobile host/router and the
access networks. DMM solutions are primarily targeted at IPv6
deployments and are not required to support IPv4, in particular for the
case where private IPv4 addresses and/or NATs are used. DMM solutions
must maintain backward compatibility: If the network or the mobile
host/router does not support the distributed mobility management
protocol that should not prevent the mobile host/router gaining basic
access (i.e., nomadic) to the network.

Contrary to earlier IP mobility protocols, mobility management signaling
paths and end-user traffic forwarding paths may differ. Further,
mobility-related functions may be located in separate network nodes. DMM
solutions should not distinguish between physical or virtualized
networking functions. Whenever applicable, clarifications and additional
features/capabilities for specific networking function deployment
models, e.g. in virtualized environments, are in-scope and encouraged.
Solutions may also specify the selection between the care-of addresses
and home address(es)/prefix(es) for different application use cases.

Work items related to distributed mobility management include:

       o Distributed mobility management deployment models and scenarios:
         describe the target high-level network architectures and
         deployment models where distributed mobility management
         protocol solutions could apply.

       o Enhanced mobility anchoring: define protocol solutions for a
         gateway and mobility anchor assignment and mid-session mobility
         anchor switching that go beyond what has been specified, for
         example, in RFC 6097, 6463, and 5142. Traffic steering
         associated with the anchor switch is also in-scope if deemed
         appropriate.

       o Forwarding path and signaling management: the function
         that handles mobility management signaling interacts with the
         DMM network elements for managing the forwarding state
         associated with a mobile node's IP traffic. These two functions
         may or may not be collocated. Furthermore, the forwarding state
         may also be distributed into multiple network elements instead
         of a single network element (e.g., anchor). Protocol extensions
         or new protocols will be specified to allow the above mentioned
         forwarding path and signalling management.

       o Exposing mobility state to mobile nodes and network nodes:
         define solutions that allow, for example, mobile nodes to select
         either a care-of address or a home address depending on an
         application' mobility needs. In order to enable this
         functionality, the network-side control functions and other
         networking nodes must also be able to exchange appropriate
         control information, as well as to the mobile nodes and their
         applications.

The working group may decide to extend the current milestones based on
the new information and knowledge gained during working on other
documents listed in the initial milestones. Possible new documents and
milestones must still fit into the overall DMM charter scope as outlined
above.

Goals and Milestones:

   Feb 2015 - Submit 'The deployment models and scenarios' as a working
              group document(s). To be Informational RFC.

   Feb 2015 - Submit 'Enhanced mobility anchoring' as a working group
              document. To be Proposed Standard.

   Feb 2015 - Submit 'Forwarding path and signaling management' as a
              working group document. To be Proposed Standard.

   May 2015 - Submit 'Exposing mobility state to mobile nodes and network
              nodes' as a working group document(s). To be Proposed
              Standard.

   May 2015 - Submit 'The deployment models and scenarios' submitted to
              the IESG. To be Informational RFC.

   Jun 2015 - Submit 'Enhanced mobility anchoring' submitted to the IESG.
              To be Proposed Standard.

   Jun 2015 - Submit 'Forwarding path and signaling management' submitted
              to the IESG. To be Proposed Standard.

   Oct 2015 - Submit 'Exposing mobility state to mobile nodes and network
              nodes' submitted to the IESG. To be Proposed Standard.