Subject: [DMM] BGP-based DMM for civil aviation

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 20:36:53 +0000

Hello, and Happy New Year,

We have articulated what is essentially a Distributed Mobility Management (DMM)
service for the next-generation civil aviation Aeronautical Telecommunications
Network with Internet Protocol Services (ATN/IPS):

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-atn-bgp/

This work tracks the progress of the International Civil Aviation Organization
(ICAO), and is a working group item of the IETF RTGWG.

The way it works is that there is a hub-and-spokes BGP overlay routing service
that interconnects potentially many mobility anchor points. Each anchor point is
responsible for mobility management for a constituent set of mobile nodes
(e.g., aircraft), such that the system as a whole supports large-scale DMM.

We think this document is in the correct home in RTGWG, but I just thought
I would start out the year by sensitizing the DMM community. Any thoughts
or comments are welcome.

Thanks - Fred

---

From: Erik Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 14:25:51 -0800

Fred,

Happy New Year.

I'm not currently tracking rtgwg, so perhaps this is already addressed in
discussion of there.  (And perhaps I should move dmm@ to bcc...)

How does a MNP-bearing node (client) locate candidate s-ASBRs (similarly
how does it locate a proxy)? And does the client try to form an eBGP
session with the s-ASBR or use something else?

I was also not clear on where administrative boundaries are in the various
diagrams (though I assumed at least that c-ASBRs are within the MSP-owners
administrative domain).

Thanks,
-Erik

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 at 12:37, Templin (US), Fred L <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> dmm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmm
>

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 09:45:13 -0600

Hi Erik,

Happy New Year to all!

Unrelated to your question below, I noticed an error in one of the pages of
loon.co:

https://loon.co/technology/

I think that commercial airplanes fly a bit above 10 km or mostly around
10km orbit while the above page shows way below 10km.

Regards,
Behcet

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 4:26 PM Erik Kline <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 at 12:37, Templin (US), Fred L <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 20:02:02 +0000

Hi Erik,

Great questions. A MNP-bearing client locates candidate s-ASBRs either through a
static map (e.g., an “/etc/hosts” file) or via the DNS. The idea is to locate an s-ASBR
that is regionally “close” to the client. For example, a client in Seattle would want
to associate with an s-ASBR in the Pacific Northwest rather than one in Eastern
Europe (although it would still work – just with sub-optimal routes). Clients do
not locate Proxys, however; the Proxy is a transparent bump-in-the-wire on
the path to the s-ASBR.

About client associations with s-ASBRs, the mechanisms are not BGP-based but
instead use a mobile routing service like MIPv6, LISP or AERO. So, the s-ASBRs
shield the BGP routing system from mobility churn caused by clients moving
between data link attachment points.

About administrative boundaries, the assumption is that all s-ASBRs and
c-ASBRs would be deployed and managed by the Mobility Service Provider.
What may not have come across from the document, however is that all
*-ASBRs could live as VMs in the cloud and do not necessarily need to be
big-iron router or server hardware.

Thanks - Fred

From: Erik Kline [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2019 2:26 PM
To: Templin (US), Fred L <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]; RTGWG <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [DMM] BGP-based DMM for civil aviation

Fred,

Happy New Year.

I'm not currently tracking rtgwg, so perhaps this is already addressed in discussion of there.  (And perhaps I should move dmm@ to bcc...)

How does a MNP-bearing node (client) locate candidate s-ASBRs (similarly how does it locate a proxy)? And does the client try to form an eBGP session with the s-ASBR or use something else?

I was also not clear on where administrative boundaries are in the various diagrams (though I assumed at least that c-ASBRs are within the MSP-owners administrative domain).

Thanks,
-Erik

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 at 12:37, Templin (US), Fred L <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Hello, and Happy New Year,

Thanks - Fred
_______________________________________________
dmm mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmm