Subject: [Dmsp] Fw: Request for Distributed Multimodal Synchronization Protocol (DMSP) BOF in Dallas

From: Chris Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 11:00:42 -0500

----- Forwarded by Chris Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM on 02/07/2006 11:00 AM
-----
                                                                           
             Chris Cross/West                                              
             Palm Beach/IBM                                                
                                                                        To 
             01/30/2006 12:52          Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>     
             PM                                                         cc 
                                       Nathaniel S Borenstein/Concord/IBM, 
                                       [email-masked],     
                                       [email-masked]                     
                                                                   Subject 
                                       Request for Distributed Multimodal  
                                       Synchronization Protocol (DMSP) BOF 
                                       in Dallas                           

                                                                           

Allison,
I am requesting a BOF at the Dallas meeting in the RAI Area. Below are the
details:

    BOF Name: Distributed Multimodal Synchronization Protocol [DMSP]

    BOF Chair:  Nathaniel Borenstein <[email-masked]>

    AREA: Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area

    CONFLICTS: SPEECHSC is in the same community, more or less. Please do
not schedule during the SPEECHSC meeting.

    Expected Attendance: 10

    Special requests (i.e. multicast, specific day of the week): None

    Number of slots: 1

    Length of slot: 2 hours

AGENDA FOR DMSP BOF

Chair:  Nathaniel Borenstein, IBM

Area Directors:  Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>

I.  Note Well, Blue Sheets, Introductions

II.  DMSP Overview and Discussion  -- Chris Cross, IBM, and J. Engelsma,
Motorola
      (Initial I-D at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-engelsma-dmsp-00.txt)

III.  Goals for a Possible WG
      (we hope to circulate a draft charter before the meeting)

IV.  Next Steps
      -- Revise I-D?
      -- New mailing list?
      -- Create WG?

Description:
    The goal of this BoF is to understand the need and discuss the creation
              of
    a working group to create a protocol for the synchronization of
              modalities
    in a distributed multimodal system.

   The advancement of wireless networking, mobile computing, and voice
   processing technologies have created a mobile computing environment
   where access to network based content and services is possible from
   mobile devices.  While the compact form factor of these devices is an
   essential and desirable characteristic from the mobility perspective,
   it unfortunately gives rise to a "user interface bottleneck".  That
   is, the small displays and limited keypads are significant barriers
   to usability.  The aim of multimodal user interfaces is to enhance
   the usability of mobile devices.

   The term "multimodal interface" in the context of this specification
   refers to augmenting the existing graphical user interface (GUI) of
   mobile devices with a voice user interface (VUI).  In this way, the
   strengths of one modality offset the weaknesses of the other.  For
   example, use speech to enter data that would be tedious to enter on a
   small keypad.  Similarly, use tactile input to disambiguate or
   confirm speech recognition results, or in lieu of speech recognition
   in a noisy environment.  Speech output also improves the
   accessibility of mobile applications for visually impaired users and
   is a means for addressing growing safety concerns by providing hands-
   free operation.  A visual display helps the user better retain and
   interpret information presented audibly via speech prompts.

   The  DMSP internet draft elaborates on a broad architectural framework
that combines
   the existing web and VoiceXML (Voice Extensible Markup Language)
   ecosystems and the industry standards upon which they are based.  The
   scope of the specification is limited to one particular
   architectural configuration within this framework: the coordination
   of a GUI browser or application running on a mobile device with a
   VoiceXML browser running in the network.  The Distributed Multimodal
   Synchronization Protocol (DMSP) accomplishes this. The ID is located at
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-engelsma-dmsp-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Dmsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmsp

---

From: Chris Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:24:24 -0500

Hi Everyone,
This is the response from Alison on our request for a BoF. In a nutshell,
they would like us to do more socialization of DMSP and then request a BoF
in the summer. They do plan to have a slot in the RAI area meeting to
discuss DMSP.

I do plan to attend the Dallas IETF to socialize DMSP. I will hold one or
many bar BoFs depending on the level of interest ;-) In the meantime, we'll
continue our technical work to move the ball forward.

thanks,
chris

Chris Cross
Multimodal Browser Architect
_________________________
IBM Boca Raton
[email-masked]
voice 561.862.2102  t/l 975.2102
mobile 561.317.0700
fax 501.641.6727

----- Forwarded by Chris Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM on 02/21/2006 01:01 PM
-----
                                                                           
             Allison Mankin                                                
             <[email-masked]>                                              
                                                                        To 
             02/19/2006 04:35          Chris Cross/West Palm               
             PM                        Beach/IBM@IBMUS                     
                                                                        cc 
                                       [email-masked],                
                                       [email-masked],     
                                       [email-masked], Nathaniel 
                                       S Borenstein/Concord/IBM@IBMUS,     
                                       Thomas Narten/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS,    
                                       [email-masked]                      
                                                                   Subject 
                                       Re: Fw: Request for Distributed     
                                       Multimodal Synchronization Protocol 
                                       (DMSP) BOF in Dallas                

                                                                           

[I seem to have missed responding to this mail when it came in, sorry]

Hi, Chris,

Ted aired your BOF request to the IESG and IAB and we had a little
bit of discussion.  We did draw the conclusion that we'd like you to
grow more of an IETF-based constituency before holding a BOF.
This sounds strange, because a BOF sounds like the time when one gets
the constituency, but as Thomas Narten has written in his
draft-narten-successful-bof-01.txt, the good BOF builds up a lot
of discussion beforehand.  Although talented people and interesting
work can get a good reception at an unprepared IETF meeting, we've
found that strong working groups grow best out of BOFs which have
prepared, already active participants.

So please do not interpret the delay of the BOF as a negative.
As I suggested when I set up the mailing list, get some email
out to the ietf, app-area, and other lists, inviting participation
and discussion of the draft.  Read Thomas's draft, actually, it describes
great next steps.  Go through these steps and work on participation.
Then present a BOF proposal again for the Summer IETF.

Starting these next steps is timely before Dallas.  In addition,
as I mentioned before, we're ready to set up a timeslot for
you to get some attention for the topic during the raiarea
meeting in Dallas.

Best regards,

Allison