Subject: [Dmsp] Fw: [Inquiry #84447] AutoReply: Request for Distributed Multimodal Synchronization Protocol (DMSP) BOF in Dallas

From: Chris Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 11:01:21 -0500

----- Forwarded by Chris Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM on 02/07/2006 11:01 AM
-----
                                                                           
             "IETF Agenda via                                              
             RT"                                                           
             <[email-masked]>                                          To 
             Sent by: Apache           Chris Cross/West Palm               
             <[email-masked]         Beach/IBM@IBMUS                     
             tf.org>                                                    cc 
                                                                           
                                                                   Subject 
             01/30/2006 12:58          [Inquiry #84447] AutoReply: Request 
             PM                        for Distributed Multimodal          
                                       Synchronization Protocol (DMSP) BOF 
                                       in Dallas                           
             Please respond to                                             
              [email-masked]                                              

Greetings,

This message has been automatically generated in response to the
creation of a ticket regarding:
             "Request for Distributed Multimodal Synchronization Protocol
(DMSP) BOF in Dallas",
a summary of which appears below.

There is no need to reply to this message right now.  Your ticket has been
assigned an ID of [Inquiry #84447] in the queue: IETF-Agenda.

Please include the string:

         [Inquiry #84447]

in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue. To do
so,
you may reply to this message.

                        Thank you,
                        [email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allison,
I am requesting a BOF at the Dallas meeting in the RAI Area. Below are the
details:

    BOF Name: Distributed Multimodal Synchronization Protocol [DMSP]

    BOF Chair:  Nathaniel Borenstein <[email-masked]>

    AREA: Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area

    CONFLICTS: SPEECHSC is in the same community, more or less. Please do
not schedule during the SPEECHSC meeting.

    Expected Attendance: 10

    Special requests (i.e. multicast, specific day of the week): None

    Number of slots: 1

    Length of slot: 2 hours

AGENDA FOR DMSP BOF

Chair:  Nathaniel Borenstein, IBM

Area Directors:  Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>

I.  Note Well, Blue Sheets, Introductions

II.  DMSP Overview and Discussion  -- Chris Cross, IBM, and J. Engelsma,
Motorola
      (Initial I-D at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-engelsma-dmsp-00.txt)

III.  Goals for a Possible WG
      (we hope to circulate a draft charter before the meeting)

IV.  Next Steps
      -- Revise I-D?
      -- New mailing list?
      -- Create WG?

Description:
    The goal of this BoF is to understand the need and discuss the creation
              of
    a working group to create a protocol for the synchronization of
              modalities
    in a distributed multimodal system.

   The advancement of wireless networking, mobile computing, and voice
   processing technologies have created a mobile computing environment
   where access to network based content and services is possible from
   mobile devices.  While the compact form factor of these devices is an
   essential and desirable characteristic from the mobility perspective,
   it unfortunately gives rise to a "user interface bottleneck".  That
   is, the small displays and limited keypads are significant barriers
   to usability.  The aim of multimodal user interfaces is to enhance
   the usability of mobile devices.

   The term "multimodal interface" in the context of this specification
   refers to augmenting the existing graphical user interface (GUI) of
   mobile devices with a voice user interface (VUI).  In this way, the
   strengths of one modality offset the weaknesses of the other.  For
   example, use speech to enter data that would be tedious to enter on a
   small keypad.  Similarly, use tactile input to disambiguate or
   confirm speech recognition results, or in lieu of speech recognition
   in a noisy environment.  Speech output also improves the
   accessibility of mobile applications for visually impaired users and
   is a means for addressing growing safety concerns by providing hands-
   free operation.  A visual display helps the user better retain and
   interpret information presented audibly via speech prompts.

   The  DMSP internet draft elaborates on a broad architectural framework
that combines
   the existing web and VoiceXML (Voice Extensible Markup Language)
   ecosystems and the industry standards upon which they are based.  The
   scope of the specification is limited to one particular
   architectural configuration within this framework: the coordination
   of a GUI browser or application running on a mobile device with a
   VoiceXML browser running in the network.  The Distributed Multimodal
   Synchronization Protocol (DMSP) accomplishes this. The ID is located at
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-engelsma-dmsp-00.txt
_______________________________________________
Dmsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmsp