Subject: Fw: [DMSP] Draft WG Charter (second pass)

From: Chris Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:50:13 -0500

----- Forwarded by Chris Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM on 02/07/2006 10:49 AM
-----
                                                                           
             "Jonathan                                                     
             Engelsma"                                                     
             <Jonathan.Engelsm                                          To 
             [email-masked]>           Chris Cross/West Palm               
                                       Beach/IBM@IBMUS, "'Engelsma         
             01/10/2006 03:36          Jonathan-QA2678'"                   
             PM                        <[email-masked]>,   
                                       "'Ferrans James-JFERRAN1'"          
                                       <[email-masked]>, Les   
             Please respond to         Wilson/West Palm Beach/IBM@IBMUS,   
             <Jonathan.Engelsm         Gregg Daggett/Watson/IBM@IBMUS,     
              [email-masked]>          Nathaniel S                         
                                       Borenstein/Concord/IBM@IBMUS,       
                                       <[email-masked]>,  
                                       <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, 
                                       <[email-masked]>,                    
                                       <[email-masked]>,            
                                       <[email-masked]>,        
                                       "'Pearce David-BDP003'"             
                                       <[email-masked]>         
                                                                        cc 
                                                                           
                                                                   Subject 
                                       [DMSP] Draft WG Charter (second     
                                       pass)                               

                                                                           

All,

Below is a version of the proposed draft WG Charter that incorporates the
email comments posted since our last call on the initial strawman
circulated by Chris Cross.  Let’s discuss on tomorrow’s call.

-jre

----------WG Charter – revision 2--------------

The convergence of wireless communications with information technology and
the miniaturization of computing platforms have resulted in advanced mobile
devices that offer high resolution displays, application programs with
graphical user interfaces, and access to the internet through full function
web browsers.

Mobile phones now support most of the functionality of a laptop computer.
However the miniaturization that has made the technology possible and
commercially successful also puts constraints on the user interface. Tiny
displays and keypads significantly reduce the usability of application
programs.

Multimodal user interfaces, UIs that offer multiple modes of interaction,
have been developed that greatly improve the usability of mobile devices.
In particular multimodal UIs that combine speech and graphical interaction
are proving themselves in the marketplace.

However, not all mobile devices provide the computing resources to perform
speech recognition and synthesis locally on the device. For these devices
it is necessary to distribute the speech modality to a server in the
network.

The Distributed Multimodal Working Group will develop the protocols
necessary to control, coordinate, and synchronize distributed modalities in
a distributed Multimodal system. There are several protocols and standards
necessary to implement such a system including DSR and AMR speech
compression, session control, and media streaming. However, the DM WG will
focus exclusively on the synchronization of modalities being rendered
across a network, in particular Graphical User Interface and Voice Servers.

The DM WG will develop an RFC for a Distributed Multimodal Synchronization
Protocol that defines the logical message set to effect synchronization
between modalities and enough background on the expected multimodal system
architecture (or reference architecture defined elsewhere in W3C or OMA) to
present a clear understanding of the protocol. It will investigate existing
protocols for the transport of the logical synchronization messages and
develop an RFC detailing the message format for commercial alternatives,
including, possibly, HTTP and SIP.

While not being limited to these, for simplicity of the scope the protocol
will assume RTP for carriage of media, SIP and SDP for session control, and
DSR and AMR for speech compression. The working group will not consider the
authoring of applications as it will be assumed that this will be done with
existing W3C markup standards such as XHTML and VoiceXML and commercial
programming languages like Java and C/C++.

It is expected that we will coordinate our work in the IETF with the W3C
Multimodal Interaction Work Group.

_______________________________________________
Dmsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmsp