Subject: Fw: [DMSP] A couple of updates

From: Chris Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:45:17 -0500

----- Forwarded by Chris Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM on 02/07/2006 10:43 AM
-----
                                                                           
             Andrew Wahbe                                                  
             <awahbe@voicegeni                                             
             e.com>                                                     To 
                                       Jonathan Engelsma                   
             12/14/2005 03:33          <[email-masked]>    
             PM                                                         cc 
                                       [email-masked],         
                                       [email-masked], Chris    
                                       Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM@IBMUS,    
                                       Les Wilson/West Palm                
                                       Beach/IBM@IBMUS, Gregg              
                                       Daggett/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Nathaniel 
                                       S Borenstein/Concord/IBM@IBMUS,     
                                       [email-masked],    
                                       [email-masked], [email-masked],     
                                       [email-masked],                      
                                       [email-masked]           
                                                                   Subject 
                                       [DMSP] A couple of updates          

                                                                           

A couple things::

First, a new Internet-Draft called "SIP Interface to VoiceXML Media
Services" is available at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-burke-vxml-00.txt

This specification standardises the SIP interface to entities running
VoiceXML (e.g. a media server). It provides the lower-level protocol
bindings to support several use cases, e.g.:
    o IVR service node
    o IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) or any SIP Application Server oriented
architecture

    o CCXML<->VoiceXML
    o Voice modality component in a multimodal system

It is not, however, geared specifically towards multimodal, and lacks many
of the "fine-grained" messages required for tight synchronization of
VoiceXML with XHTML as required by X+V. Basically, it lets you initiate and
pass info into a VoiceXML session and get data returned back from you. It
may be worth considering building on top of this work using SIP INFO and/or
NOTIFY however.

Second, I put a request for requirements to the W3C MMI working group. A
new version of the MMI Architecture spec will be ready in Feb. as
discussed. The group is also considering putting together more formal
requirements for a synchronization protocol in the same timeframe.

Andrew

_______________________________________________
Dmsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmsp

---

From: Chris Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:46:06 -0500

----- Forwarded by Chris Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM on 02/07/2006 10:45 AM
-----
                                                                           
             Chris Cross/West                                              
             Palm Beach/IBM                                                
                                                                        To 
             12/15/2005 02:56          Andrew Wahbe                        
             PM                        <[email-masked]>             
                                                                        cc 
                                       [email-masked],    
                                       [email-masked], Gregg    
                                       Daggett/Watson/IBM@IBMUS,           
                                       [email-masked],         
                                       [email-masked], Jonathan Engelsma     
                                       <[email-masked]>,   
                                       Les Wilson/West Palm                
                                       Beach/IBM@IBMUS, Nathaniel S        
                                       Borenstein/Concord/IBM@IBMUS,       
                                       [email-masked],          
                                       [email-masked], [email-masked]     
                                                                   Subject 
                                       Re: [DMSP] A couple of updates      
                                       (Document link: Chris Cross)        

                                                                           

Hi Andrew,
We saw this. My position is that this is not multimodal and they will only
sow confusion by claiming that it is. The only basis for claiming it is
multimodal is that it is an interface to a VoiceXML processor, regardless
that the semantics of the message set don't deal with synchronization. A
quick scan of the draft reveals that the word multimodal only appears once,
in section 1.1.5. As for SIP, we think there should be a transport
independent or logical message definition and then seperate specifications
by transport. We've found in our implementation that SIP may not be the
best place to implement so perhaps it should be one option among a few,
including http.

Thanks for your liaison with MMI. I'm looking forward to their formal
input.

thanks,
chris

Chris Cross
Multimodal Browser Architect
_________________________
IBM Boca Raton
[email-masked]
voice 561.862.2102  t/l 975.2102
mobile 561.317.0700
fax 501.641.6727

             Andrew Wahbe                                                  
             <awahbe@voicegeni                                             
             e.com>                                                     To 
                                       Jonathan Engelsma                   

                                                                           

A couple things::

Andrew[attachment "awahbe.vcf" deleted by Chris Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM]