Subject: Fw: [DMSP] Draft WG charter

From: Chris Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:48:20 -0500

----- Forwarded by Chris Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM on 02/07/2006 10:47 AM
-----
                                                                           
             Chris Cross/West                                              
             Palm Beach/IBM                                                
                                                                        To 
             12/21/2005 10:03          "'Jonathan Engelsma'"               
             AM                        <[email-masked]>,   
                                       <[email-masked]>,       
                                       <[email-masked]>, Chris  
                                       Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM@IBMUS,    
                                       Les Wilson/West Palm                
                                       Beach/IBM@IBMUS, Gregg              
                                       Daggett/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Nathaniel 
                                       S Borenstein/Concord/IBM@IBMUS,     
                                       <[email-masked]>,  
                                       <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, 
                                       <[email-masked]>,                    
                                       <[email-masked]>,            
                                       <[email-masked]>         
                                                                        cc 
                                                                           
                                                                   Subject 
                                       [DMSP] Draft WG charter             

                                                                           

Team,
Here is my strawman:

The convergence of wireless communications and the miniaturization of
computing platforms have resulted in a class of mobile devices that offer
high resolution displays, application programs with Graphical User
Interfaces, and access to the internet through full function web browsers.
Devices that were once "mere" cellular phones now support most of the
function of a laptop computer. However, the trend that makes the technology
possible and commercially successful, miniaturization, also creates a user
interface "bottleneck." Tiny displays and keypads are significant barriers
to the usability of application programs. Multimodal user interfaces, i.e.,
UIs that offer multiple modes of interaction have been developed that
greatly enhance the usability of mobile devices. In particular, Multimodal
UIs that combine speech and graphical I/O are prving themselves in the
marketplace. However, there are a class of mobile devices that do not
provide the computing resources to perform speech recognition and synthesis
locally on the device. For this class of device it is necessary to
distribute the speech modality to a server in the network.

The Distributed Multimodal Working Group will develop the protocols
necessary to control, coordinate, and synchronize distributed modalities in
a distributed Multimodal system. There are several protocols and standards
necessary to implement such a system including DSR and AMR speech
compression, session control, and media streaming. However, the DM WG will
focus exclusively on the syncronization of modalities being rendered across
a network, in particular Graphical User Interface and Voice Servers.

The DM WG will develop an RFC that details the architectural requirements
of a Distributed Multimodal system and the logical message set to effect
synchronization between modalities. It will investigate existing protocols
for the transport of the logical syncronization messages and develop an RFC
detailing the message format for commercial alternatives, including,
possibly, HTTP and SIP.

The protocol will assume RTP for carriage of media, SIP and SDP for session
control, and DSR and AMR for speech compression. The working group will no
consider the authoring of applications as it will be assumed that this will
be done with existing W3C markup standards such as XHTML and VoiceXML and
commercial programming languages like Java and C/C++.

It is expected that we will coordinate our work in the IETF with theW3C
Mutlimodal Interaction Work Group.

thanks,
chris

Chris Cross
Multimodal Browser Architect
_________________________
IBM Boca Raton
[email-masked]
voice 561.862.2102  t/l 975.2102
mobile 561.317.0700
fax 501.641.6727

_______________________________________________
Dmsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmsp

---

From: Chris Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:48:54 -0500

----- Forwarded by Chris Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM on 02/07/2006 10:48 AM
-----
                                                                           
             "Jonny Axelsson"                                              
             <[email-masked]>                                               
                                                                        To 
             12/21/2005 11:13          Chris Cross/West Palm               
             AM                        Beach/IBM@IBMUS, "'Jonathan         
                                       Engelsma'"                          
                                       <[email-masked]>,   
                                       [email-masked],         
                                       [email-masked], Les      
                                       Wilson/West Palm Beach/IBM@IBMUS,   
                                       Gregg Daggett/Watson/IBM@IBMUS,     
                                       Nathaniel S                         
                                       Borenstein/Concord/IBM@IBMUS,       
                                       [email-masked],    
                                       [email-masked], [email-masked],    
                                       [email-masked],                      
                                       [email-masked],              
                                       [email-masked]           
                                                                        cc 
                                                                           
                                                                   Subject 
                                       Re: [DMSP] Draft WG charter         

                                                                           

> Here is my strawman:

I didn't add anything substantial or inspirational but I fiddled with the
language of the preamble (more of the same will be needed):

The convergence of wireless communications with information technology and

the miniaturization of computing platforms have resulted in advanced
mobile devices that offer high resolution displays, application programs
with graphical user interfaces, and access to the internet through full
function web browsers.

Mobile phones now support most of the functionality of a laptop computer.
However the miniaturization that has made the technology possible and
commercially successful also puts constraints on the user interface. Tiny
displays and keypads significantly reduce the usability of application
programs.

Multimodal user interfaces, UIs that offer multiple modes of interaction,
have been developed that greatly improve the usability of mobile devices.
In particular multimodal UIs that combine speech and graphical interaction

are proving themselves in the marketplace.

However, not all mobile devices provide the computing resources to perform

speech recognition and synthesis locally on the device. For these devices
it is necessary to distribute the speech modality to a server in the
network.

--
Jonny Axelsson, Core Technology, Opera Software ASA

---

From: Chris Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:49:26 -0500

----- Forwarded by Chris Cross/West Palm Beach/IBM on 02/07/2006 10:49 AM
-----
                                                                           
             "Pearce                                                       
             David-BDP003"                                                 
             <david.pearce@mot                                          To 
             orola.com>                Chris Cross/West Palm               
                                       Beach/IBM@IBMUS, "Engelsma          
             12/21/2005 11:21          Jonathan-QA2678"                    
             AM                        <[email-masked]>,   
                                       "Ferrans James-JFERRAN1"            
                                       <[email-masked]>, Les   
                                       Wilson/West Palm Beach/IBM@IBMUS,   
                                       Gregg Daggett/Watson/IBM@IBMUS,     
                                       Nathaniel S                         
                                       Borenstein/Concord/IBM@IBMUS,       
                                       <[email-masked]>,  
                                       <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, 
                                       <[email-masked]>,                    
                                       <[email-masked]>,            
                                       <[email-masked]>         
                                                                        cc 
                                                                           
                                                                   Subject 
                                       RE: [DMSP] Draft WG charter         

                                                                           

Chris

An attempt to play with the wording a bit to avoid the possible confusion
about architecture work ie to be clear that we do NOT intend to make
another multimodal architecture as an rfc.

"....
The DM WG will develop an RFC for a Distributed Multimodal Synchronisation
Protocol that defines the logical message set to effect synchronization
between modalities and enough background on the expected multimodal system
architecture (or reference architecture defined elsewhere in W3C or OMA) to
present a clear understanding of the protocol. It will investigate existing
protocols for the transport of the logical synchronization messages and
develop an RFC detailing the message format for commercial alternatives,
including, possibly, HTTP and SIP.

While not being limited to these, for simplicity of the scope the protocol
will assume RTP for carriage of media, SIP and SDP for session control, and
DSR and AMR for speech compression. The working group will no consider the
authoring of applications as it will be assumed that this will be done with
existing W3C markup standards such as XHTML and VoiceXML and commercial
programming languages like Java and C/C++.
..."

Just a suggestion to set the ball rolling - I'm very open to further
improvements :-)

David

From: Chris Cross [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 21 December 2005 15:03
To: Engelsma Jonathan-QA2678; Ferrans James-JFERRAN1; Pearce David-BDP003;
Chris Cross; Les Wilson; Gregg Daggett; Nathaniel S Borenstein;
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [DMSP] Draft WG charter

Team,
Here is my strawman:

thanks,
chris

Chris Cross